BC Boards

Retained deciduous teeth

Well, two dogs, 8 canines, and I'm never going to see how a normal puppy fang falls out. Mer I could understand, she had an overbite from the day I picked her up. But Obi had a lovely scissors bite, and she's going to end up with all 4 canines retained. She's a couple days over 5 months, and all 4 permanent canines are partially erupted. The two lower deciduous ones are relatively loose, the upper ones not very. She chews on bones every day, plays tug almost daily, and chews on rubber and tennis balls.

Question is this: how have folks dealt with this? Mer had the general anesthesia/dental rads/surgery when she was spayed at 6 months, but considering the myriad ortho conditions she went on to develop, I'm not spaying Obi until she's at least 14 months. I really, really don't want to do GA, nor can I afford dental rads and surgery right now. Period. So I was wondering if folks had ever just gone the route of having their GP vet sedate the dog and pull retained canines, and if it worked well enough for them (even though it's not the gold standard, far more expensive option).

Thanks.

oh....at 5 months I had two pups that still had their baby canines, they were right next to their adult ones. Pups are 6 1/2 months old now and no more baby teeth. I've yet to have to have any removed, not saying that it couldn't happen, just saying that still having them at 5 months wouldn't alarm me yet. I was just reading an article that mentioned to have them removed if the pup does not loose them on their own by 7 months.

Sorry can't answer about the sedation, would consult with your vet, but still be willing to give the pup more time to loose them on her own.

Pia still had her baby canines, right beside her adult canines, at about 5 or 6 months. When I took her in for her Rabies shot the vet felt certain we'd have to go in and take them out... but two weeks later I happened to be looking in her mouth and they were gone! I'd say there is certainly a chance they'll still fall out on their own - particularly the ones that are loose. He did say that if they were not loose and he had to go in there he'd cut them out as opposed to pulling. Fortunately it was a moot issue.

Okay, thank you both. Was planning on giving her a week or so, but I was worried that once the permanent ones erupted fully, the baby ones likely wouldn't fall out. Different sources are telling me different things :-) But others' experience is the real deal, as they say...so I will give her at least til 6 months, I think.

I'll admit that for a couple of Kes' baby canies, once they were loose, I sort of helped them along, just so I could keep them. Yes, I'm a little weird. ;)

I'd certainly give her to 6 months, especially if you don't see any obvious problems with either the adult or the baby teeth.

J.

I've gone both routes. I had a really tolerant dog that let me wiggle her teeth until they loosened up and then there's Micah who thinks everything is an invitation to gnaw on me. I gave him a raw meaty bone and all 4 were out within 1 hour and he thought it was a treat.

One problem with waiting too long to pull the baby canine teeth is the adult can grow crooked. My toy poodle (inherently bad teeth in small dogs) had to have many puppy teeth pulled. We waited too long with the canines and one of them grew more outwards so his upper lip gets caught on it. We call it his Elvis impression.

And yes we did general anesthesia at the regular vets, they pulled the teeth and then brought him out of it. I would do it again. He had it done 2 different times and the 2nd time I had them finish pulling any baby teeth.

What a timely post. I have a foster puppy that the vets estimate at 5-6 months old. I happened to notice that she had some funky canines. I don't know much about dog dental and the timing of tooth loss, but based on what you describe, it may have been retained canines. I looked at her teeth this morning, and both retained canines were gone. Yay! I didn't do anything, but I like the idea of giving bones to chew.

Jovi