BC Boards

Crate size

How do I know if Annie is getting too big for her crate? We borrowed one from a friend that we can keep until we either buy our own or she doesn't need it. We will likely buy our own at some point but I don't want to have to buy more then one. She seems like she's right on the cusp of needing a bigger size but I'm not sure how to tell. She can lay down in it but she can't stretch out like she could when we first got her. She can stand up in it and turn around but not much more. I'm not sure how many sizes they come in but it's a "medium" size wire crate.

You can get a wire crate that has an insert that you adjust so that you only have to buy the adult-sized crate you will need, and don't have to bother with a puppy or intermediate-sized crates. MidWest makes them, I know.

Dan is the only one of mine who even had a puppy-sized crate as he was shipped by airline to us from California in it. Everyone else simply started with the adult crate (I use 36" wire crates) and I didn't even use the inserts but some folks find them useful.

Good luck figuring it out!

The absolute minimum size should be at least 1 inch taller than the dog at the withers and if they are going to be in it for long, it should have room for stretching. I always get large crates and have only had 1 dog that needed some space blocked off. I don't like buying multiple crates either.

Because I think it's handy to have a crate available should I need to contain a dog, I'd go ahead and get the appropriate-sized adult crate and just use that. I have a puppy sized crate, but pups graduate pretty quickly to an intermediate (VariKennel), since that's the size most of my dogs use.

J.

I'd get her the next size larger crate. The size you'll think she needs when she's an adult. If it's a crate my dogs are sleeping in regularly, I want them to have plenty of room to stretch out and sleep in whatever fashion makes them comfortable. Just like I want a comfy, roomy bed that helps me wake up refreshed in the morning, I want the same thing for my dog's night crate.

Hope this helps. :)

~ Gloria