BC Boards

2 weave polls question

I am watching Susan Garrett's 2 X 2 weave polls DVD. She is a little vague about how and win she transitions from the dog going through 2 sets of polls and when she moves them together and the dog weaves through 4 polls. One moment the dog is going through two polls like a doorway and then the next there are pushed together like weave polls, without much explanation. seems like a big jump.

Do you just slide them together and the dog starts weaving, that seems to simple.

Thans

You gradually move them closer (depending on how far apart they are) and also gradually rotate them into line. How quickly depends on your how your dog is doing.

I understand that Rave but at what point do you ask the dog to stop going through just 2 openings and start going through 4. Not until the polls are all the way together or when they get close? If it's when they get close how close is close.

Thanks

If this concept is troubling you, it's probably because you don't understand why 2X2s work. You gradually rotate the two sets of poles from being parallel with one another until they are lined up with one another end to end. There is no exact time frame because it depends largely on how quickly your dog catches onto the concept. This happens with small changes in how the poles are lined up, and those changes happen as your dog's accuracy at finding the entrance on each set improves. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

The dog is always finding two entrances when you are using 2 sets of 2X2s together. Except that in the beginning they are running through them as a straight chute - it's still two entrances though. As time goes on and you rotate both sets of poles, they are STILL finding two entrances, and now the second entrance is a tiny bit tougher to find because it's not dead in front of the first one, but slightly angled. This difficult keeps increasing with more rotation until the dog understands its job is to always find that entrance, even if the poles are lined up end to end.

RDM

It might really help to take a private lesson or two from someone who teaches 2x2s in your area. I watched the video a billion times & would even watch the portion I was going to work on each day before I started the practice session. My dog did really well, but I ended up taking some classes & lessons from someone and she picked up on a few things I was doing wrong. We progressed much more quickly and she was way more solid after I did a few lessons.

It might really help to take a private lesson or two from someone who teaches 2x2s in your area. I watched the video a billion times & would even watch the portion I was going to work on each day before I started the practice session. My dog did really well, but I ended up taking some classes & lessons from someone and she picked up on a few things I was doing wrong. We progressed much more quickly and she was way more solid after I did a few lessons.

Sorry I got it. It finally sank in to my thick skull.

Thanks