BC Boards

Windswept Farms / Jeanne Weaver

olivehill

I'm almost afraid to ask, given some of the strong opinions I've read about other breeders/trainers, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row training wise and it sure would be nice to start out with a good one. So... anyone know or recommend this trainer? Or know and not not recommend, for that matter?

Tripp is young yet, but given how quickly these first three months have gone I figure the next three will fly right by, too.

She's excellent. You won't go wrong training with her. She hasn't been trailing much in the last few years, but she has trained many Open handlers and many Open dogs. She was one of the first, maybe the first, Expert on these Boards. She has a range of field conditions and Katahdin sheep. (disclaimer: I train regularly with her)

Awesome! Thanks. Does this mean I might just have the pleasure of meeting you this fall, too? :)

It could; I go out at least once a week. Let me know when you start and maybe we'll connect out there. Where do you live? There are quite a few Open handlers within driving distance of Jeanne, so if you get the bug, there are some options for different fields and such.

P.s. here's a story that ran last week about her and some folks she works with

Also, thanks for the article. I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if I want to trial... wait, my husband isn't on this board is he?

Okay, I definitely want to try our hand at trialing. :lol:

We bought Tripp to work on our farm -- figured he'd be cheaper and more effective than hiring a human hand -- but the bug has bitten. I always heard all they say about Border Collies being bright and incredible animals but man... it's an understatement. I am amazed by this dog daily, am completely smitten with him, can't wait to see what he's like on stock... it's become an obsession.

Also, thanks for the article. I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if I want to trial... wait, my husband isn't on this board is he?

Okay, I definitely want to try our hand at trialing. :lol:

We bought Tripp to work on our farm -- figured he'd be cheaper and more effective than hiring a human hand -- but the bug has bitten. I always heard all they say about Border Collies being bright and incredible animals but man... it's an understatement. I am amazed by this dog daily, am completely smitten with him, can't wait to see what he's like on stock... it's become an obsession.

This is what happened to me, too! I've always had hound dogs (we've got a 12yo coonhound and a 8mo beagle), but they just don't compare to our Border Collie pup! I've become BC obsessed :)

I took a couple of lessons with Jeanne this morning since I am in Michigan for a few days, and I was very impressed with the quality of her instruction. I wish she lived closer to me so I could work with her regularly!