BC Boards

forgot how to frisbee

Meg prefers softer Frisbees. Many pet store ones tend to be too hard in my opinion. I like the Skhoundz SofFlite.

The hard plastic ones are the ones that get all those sharp dings and digs. Soft is better, as you point out!

Woops I knew the color thing would generate response.

For competition it is suggested that we use white frisbees. (easier for the dog to see.)

I would like to think Keeva brings the blue frisbee when I ask (she has every color.) She brings it because it is a very soft plastic and it is her favorite.

When I bring home a new disc she is always more excited than usual.

The color is more for me. I personally like the red one but it is 135grams and it is a little heavy for her at 10 months.

Hopefuuly you BC will get back into enjoying the frisbee if that is what u want.

Kong makes a flexible rubber frisbee, as does Nylabone and Petco among others. You would be surprised how well they fly; certainly not like a plastic one, but if you're not going for competition it doesn't matter. They are easier on the mouth.

The cannine has to be 18 months to compete.

This makes sense as you mentioned she is still growing.

She turned 10 months but we are training and (if you call it competeing in prey drive, grip and retrieval.)

Not any real agility or jumping.

She loves it but as I mentioned in a previous post you must let them rest.

I agree with those who would wonder about some sort of injury as a possibility here. Quinn who loves to play fetch also suddenly stopped running after the Frisbee, waiting for it to land, needing encouragement and acting spooked when he picked it up. Took him to the vet who does chiropractic and who found several areas in his spine, one of his shoulders and (I believe) and elbow out of alignment. After the adjustment and the 48 hours of rest (for a Border Collie), Quinn was again running after the Frisbee full tilt.

I'm sorry, but not everyone has hundreds of dollars to waste on x-rays and mri's or whatever because and only because a dog does not want to fetch a frisbee. My vet would think I was nuts if that was the reason I was coming in and would try to talk me out of doing expensive nonsense until something really seemed off.

Yeah, but for Quinn, and I'd think a lot of Border Collies out there, not wanting to fetch a Frisbee is HUGE. It reminds me of when my Sheltie started having GI issues and was losing weight. My primary vet, who was relatively new to us then, commented a few times, "But her appetite is still good." And each time he said it, I responded, "The day her appetite isn't good, I will be calling you in hysterics because she is dying. She is insane for food." One thing I love about my vet is how he partners with me to care for my dogs. He has the education and experience. I have the day to day understanding of my dogs. Together we make a pretty good team.

Do I over-react sometimes taking my dogs to the vet and ultimately spend money I didn't need to. Definitely! Have I been extremely wise to rush my dogs in other times? Yes! I know for a fact, my Lhasa would have died while I was at work some years back if I hadn't over-reacted and dropped him off at the vet after being sick for less than 18 hours. I was concerned that he kept throwing up but he wasn't acting lethargic or especially sick otherwise. I felt slightly foolish as I left the vet's parking lot. A few hours later, he went into shock and fortunately the vet was able to respond immediately to the crisis, saving his life. It is a fine line between over-reacting and under-reacting. I know I've walked both sides of that line over the years. I was lucky that I "over-reacted" with my Lhasa that day.