BC Boards

Hormone question

Tommy came out of season 6 weeks ago. All of a sudden she is acting strangely. She has a little plush toy that she carries around with her. She lays it on the bed and then licks it and is careful to curl up around it at night. Just like she would treat a puppy. And she guards it. Poor Zeke it he gets too close. Fortunately he is very laid back and he just looks at her and turns around and goes another way.

Is there some hormone fluctuation after being in season? I think she did this last time, too.

The vet says it's safe to spay her now so I'm doing that soon as I can - before her next season for sure.

Yes, all dogs that are not bred still experience a pseudopregnancy after a heat cycle. With most dogs you don't notice anything or maybe an increase in how affectionate they are, but some go off feed on their due date, produce milk and adopt babies (like stuffed toys).

Don't spay her until 3 to 4 months after her heat cycle.

Sounds like a false pregnancy....approximately 60 days after being in season, about the time she would have whelped a litter had she been bred. I'm told that bitches that have false pregnancy are at higher risk for pyometra. It will stop after she is spayed.

No, you wait 3 to 4 months from her heat cycle, not from her "whelping" date. If she was in heat 2 months ago you should be able to spay her in another month or two. Ignore the behavior and try to redirect her away from her baby.