BC Boards

ok dumb question...

Why would my agility trainer after one class, and after just trying the second peice of equipment say "Lady, you have yourself an agility dog"?? Anyone who does agility please fill me in. I know how he acts in class, and he just gets so excited about everything and wants to go! he is also fearless, had no fear of the tunnel, it was after the tunnel she said this. What do you suppose she saw? I think agility is fun for us both! She is also an experienced trainer. I didnt dare ask her why she said that! LOL, I didnt wanna sound korny, so I figured I would ask here.

Yes, a good agility dog can stand out straight away. No fear and eager, but it also has to be in tune with the handler. Over here in England we go through the various levels differently from America and some other parts of Europe. We don't have a points system as such and the only way I can move on to Intermediate is to win 1st place in a Starters class in competition. Although I want clear rounds I also need speed. I have to be on the ball with my commands because if my dog makes it to the end of a line of hurdles before me and has to avoid a tunnel and turn right, I have to call 'right' at the appropriate moment.

Some dogs actually take you by surprise. My husband was advised at one point to give up with Pepsi because she was nervous and kept running out of the training ring. But, he didn't give up on her and she is now a star, very confident and goes round gracefully, but like a bullet. Because of her personality even people with dogs competing against her cheer when does a clear round.

As your trainer can see your dog in action and has commented on the fact that you have a natural agility dog, then she knows best. However that doesn't mean you can leave the work to your dog. I'm sorry but I've seen many a good dog ruined by bad handling. Agility is team work.

I wish you well in the sport and I hope you and your dog continue to enjoy it.

Regards, Val and the girls

thanks for answering me, I will do my very best to be a good handler. I will need training as much as my dog. But my trainer seems to be very good and concise, so I think it'll work out fine. I have been directing him to go left or right on our walks. He doesnt get it yet, but he will smile.gif

thanks

It's also a confidence builder for you, the new handler to stick with it. Few professional trainers would stay in business long if they said "Gee, your dog stinks. Don't waste your time on this!". It sounds like your dog will enjoy agilty and do well so keep at it and you'll get just as much out of the training as the dog will.

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

Zebbie

When you are out with your dog take a ball. With your dog facing the same way as you throw the ball slightly to the right and as you send the dog after it give the command 'right'. Do the same with the left. For straight down the middle use something like 'go on'. Try not to do what I did in the early days with Isa. I got my left and right muddled up, so I now use 'away' for left.

Regards, Val and the girls

I've seen a few folks use "right" and "left" successfully in agility - but probably more have tried and NOT had it work. I decided long ago that I couldn't do it with my speed demon - at times, she spins so fast, I couldn't possibly tell which direction she was facing! [and no, I don't think it works to try and teach the dog to go right of you or left of you...]

Most really good handlers I've seen use "here" [whatever obstacle] or "out" [obstacle name] best. There's also a "switch" command, where the dog changes from YOUR right to YOUR left - though I haven't been very successful training that one! (similar to the "throw the ball and say right or left).

And true, some dogs just naturally show a talent for the sport. Speed, focus, eagerness - all necessary! Have fun!

diane