BC Boards

How long until pup stops crying?

Never punish the pup by putting in the crate.

I both agree and disagree with this. I agree that you should never be all "BAD DOG, GET IN THE CRATE!" kind of punishing, but at the same time I don't think you should be afraid to use the crate as a quiet/time out place. I've noticed with our pup he can get himself just overly riled up and in those cases I go ahead and just put him in his crate for some quiet time. He won't wind down himself if he's out, so it's kind of his cue to take it down a few thousand notches. It hasn't seemed to have any effect on him, he still goes in his crate on his own when the door is open and doesn't mind being crated any other time. I've never really had the over-energized issue with any of the other breed dogs we've raised so I guess I can't compare, but it's working for us for now.

but at the same time I don't think you should be afraid to use the crate as a quiet/time out place. I've noticed with our pup he can get himself just overly riled up and in those cases I go ahead and just put him in his crate for some quiet time. He won't wind down himself if he's out, so it's kind of his cue to take it down a few thousand notches.

I agree the crate can be used as a time out place, but I still would put my pup in there with a treat. Worked for me.

Jovi