BC Boards

Ahhh! Brock is addicted to eating tissues!

This is becoming a problem. He's done it once or twice in the past but it was just a tissue. Now he's obsessed with them and eats as much as he can as fast as he can. He will even grab a box and just eat them out of the box! Gah! I have allergies so there is always a box of tissue's sitting somewhere but right now my son and I are getting over colds so there are tissue's everywhere. He's big enough now that he can jump onto our bed and he'll get the box on the headboard :/ What can I do to deter him from doing this? He's got plenty of toys, and chew things around the house and he's had plenty of exercise lately. Thoughts?

Management means putting the tissues where he can't get them. I have often said that there is nothing like a puppy (or young dog) to teach children (and husbands and wives) to put things away, and I think the safest, simplest answer to your question is to put the tissues where he *cannot get them*.

We also have a paper-loving dog - Dan, who likes paper towels, paper napkins, and tissues. If he does get some, he is reprimanded and told to drop them, and they are put where he can't get them.

If you haven't already, teach Brock the "leave it" command. Sit in a chair in your kitchen (or other, suitable place where there is a smooth floor). Drop a bit of something he would like to eat on the floor and when he approaches it, put your foot over it, saying "Leave it." As soon as he quits trying to look under your shoe or get his nose under your shoe, and looks up at your face, tell him he's a "good boy!" and give him a more desirable treat. If you use a clicker, click when he lifts his eyes to your face.

This is easily taught to a younger animal - in fact, in my opinion, the younger, the better - and the better it is learned. I neglected to make this a priority with Dan and when I see him get something outside that I don't want him to have, he tends to wolf it down. Not so with the dogs that I trained as young pups, as they will drop it when I say "leave it".

So, a three-pronged approach - teach the "leave it"; reprimand if he gets a tissue so he knows that that displeases you (be firm, be fair, be calm and steady in your reprimand); and put the tissues (or anything else you don't want him to get) in a place where he can't get them.

This has, as you recognize, gone from the beginnings of an annoying habit to an obsession. You may also want to work on redirecting his attention either each time you use a tissue or, better yet, prior to using a tissue so that he can be otherwise occupied. I'm sure others will offer much better advice!

Best wishes!

I agree with Sue R. She has a very good response.

Having a puppy means that you (usually) can not continue with normal life. You have to change your habits to accomodate a growing, inquisitive pup. Management is such an important part of having a pup. If you never present him with an opportunity to 'do wrong', he will go up without developing bad habits. Obviously, no one can ever set up an environment where the pup never does wrong, but the important point is to be aware of what the pup is doing, and if he does something wrong, ASAP change the situation so the wrong behavior does not become a habit. So, hide the tissues, then keep a careful eye on the toilet paper in case he decides to try and substitute. If he is getting into too much trouble, maybe more time in a crate or X-pen is needed unless you can watch him every second. Or tether him to you.

Teaching the "Leave It" command as Sue has described is one technique I have used. My dog is excellent with that behavior. Actually, I use a "Drop It" command when he has something in his mouth, and a "Leave It" command when he is going towards something that I don't want him to have. The "Drop It" command took a lot of patience and time (3-4 months). I don't think he had a reliable "Drop It" until he was 7-8 months old - or maybe older.

Jovi

Jovi

Thanks for the replies! Technically he shouldn't be able to get to the tissue's since they are up in higher places since my son likes to play with them also. I think someone forgot to tell Brock that he is a dog and not a cat or a bird. This dog LOVES to be in high places! Just the other day I caught him lounging on top of the recycling bin. He does know the 'leave it' command since he started becoming obsessed with grabbing a stick or pine cone on the way back into the house after going potty. We use 'drop it' in the house for toys and such. When he gets into the tissue's it's always 'behind my back'. Yesterday it was when I was out front talking with my neighbor and today I was nursing my son and realized Brock was very quiet lol. He was on the bed pulling at the tissue box.

Brock is such a different BC pup than I'm used to. Very tenacious.

Money has been tighter than usual lately so we haven't been able to get out on the trail much the last couple weeks and then my son and I got sick last week so I haven't worked with him at all in almost 2 weeks. Guess this is his way of throwing a temper tantrum ;)

If height it not an issue for Brock, try keeping the tissues in drawers. Less convenient for you but perhaps another way to manage the issue with the tissue!

Brock is pretty young and many dogs will outgrow phases if we give them the chance to break the habit and mature a bit. And, as you point out, things have been happening to make it harder to keep him occupied. Another thought would be to get one of many useful items that make him think and work to get and eat his food, like the Squirrel Dude or what I have (don't know the name but it's a purple bottle-shaped dispenser with a rubbery rope at one end - I used it when Dan needs to spend some time working at getting his food to eat). Play hide-and-seek games with something he can and should consume, like little dog treats (place them where his searching won't become an issue).

As much fun as a youngster may be, I find that a dog that reaches one, then two, and then three years of age, just gets better with time as the lessons sink in and become a part of their personality and habits.

Best wishes!

I think someone forgot to tell Brock that he is a dog and not a cat or a bird. This dog LOVES to be in high places! Just the other day I caught him lounging on top of the recycling bin.

Is Brock one of those dogs that have springs in his legs? If so, awesome. My BC is very strong and fast, but not one that would ever be a competitive disc dog because he is not light on his feet. He has never jumped as high as the competitive disc dogs. But, right now, I have a ~one-year old foster BC (or high mix) that does have springs in his legs. It is quite different. One time I saw him jump on my kitchen counter!! just like a cat - which he was chasing! Although I obviously don't want him on the kitchen counter and reprimanded him for it, I was very impressed with his athletic ability. :D

Jovi

Thanks Sue. I was actually wanting to find something like that for Brock to help slow down his eating and to also make him work for it. Thanks for reminding me :)

Yes, Brock is pretty athletic. He cleared the gates we have in the kitchen one day to get to me :/ Makes me think I should give agility a try!

Archived