BC Boards

Diapers for a little yellow lab 8 week old

urge to herd

I have a good friend who has a breeder bitch for Canine Companions for Independence, a service dog organization. Her girl had puppies about 8 weeks ago, and one baby girl has a problem with a ureter, so that she leaks All The Time.

The other pups went to their puppy raiser homes last Monday, but this little girl will stay with my friend until she's big enough to have surgery to correct the problem, at about 4 months. Which means 60 more days of leaks.

Chris has tried disposable diapers, and I think training pants with a sanitary napkin inside. Puppy likes to shred the diapers . . . .

Anybody have any suggestions? Chris is going to search the disabled dog support groups. This is something like her 7th or 8th litter for CCI, so she's a veteran of puppies, just not puppies who need diapers. Or something.

Little Tanya needs to be out and about and around people and household activities and objects, so confining her very much isn't an option.

Thanks for lending your minds to this problem!

Ruth

I think that I'd try something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Washable-Doggie-Dungarees-Diaper-Medium/dp/B005EGPZ9Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_4 Then maybe stick an incontinence pad in it for extra absorption.

Perhaps get the pup used to it by putting it on then bringing out a high value treat to distract the pup. I would think that with a combination of distracting/redirecting and keeping the pup near her (or tethered to her) that the pup will learn to leave it alone.

But that's just a theory - I've had no actual experience with something like that.

ETA - here is a link to another one http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07f4b-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5 One of the reviews sounds a lot like the situation that you're describing.

Archived