BC Boards

Sensitive Stomache

Just this week I started back to agility training. Rusty (new rescue) is going to beginner obedience, and so I thought I'd start Kylie on agility. Well, after 3 days of training, I now remember our training problem. Kylie has a very finicky stomach. Many things will give her diarrhea....and it's trial and error to find what doesn't give it to her. :(

For instance, she loves cheese...gets a small piece every night. But in the past when I trained her with cheese she got diarrhea. Same with store bought treats. Nuked hot dogs...not good. Chicken...not good. Nothing new is good in bulk. So training treats are a problem. Her dry food is fine, but not special enough to aid training.

She's been like this since I got her...done all the tests and work-ups....nothing is wrong. So tonight I gave her some pumpkin. That usually helps my dogs.

My questions: anyone else had a problem like this? Any suggestions on treats? Also, is there a problem with giving her pumpkin daily while she is having training treats?

thanks.

Have you tried freeze dried treats? You could get whatever meat that is in her food. I have been told by a couple trainers that dogs who were thought to be "not food motivated" did well with freeze dried treats plus it's only 1 ingredient for your predicament.

Have you tried freeze dried treats? You could get whatever meat that is in her food. I have been told by a couple trainers that dogs who were thought to be "not food motivated" did well with freeze dried treats plus it's only 1 ingredient for your predicament.

Thank you for the resonse.

Googled this and still don't understand what the difference is between this and just regular treats? And why would they work for a dog with this type of problem? I'm willing to try it...just don't understand it.

You could also look at making treats. There are some recipes out there with pumpkin and grain free. My dogs love the peanut butter grain free treats I make.

You may also want to think about adding a pro-biotic to the diet in general.

Thanks 2 devils. So adding a pro-biotic to her diet might help her digestion with other foods??? Are you saying to add something like yogurt? Or to go with a "pro-biotic" dog food?

My old dog was getting a sensitive stomach, and I now put pro-biotics in his food every morning. It DOES help, and at 1/4 teaspoon a day, (for this brand/dog) it goes a long way.

Then I add a big tablespoon-dollop of plain or vanilla yogurt if he seems a little "off," and I keep plain canned pumpkin on hand for when ANY of my dogs have loose poops.

Good luck!

~ Gloria

Thanks 2 devils. So adding a pro-biotic to her diet might help her digestion with other foods??? Are you saying to add something like yogurt? Or to go with a "pro-biotic" dog food?

I use a probiotic/digestive enzyme daily on my dog's (and my cat's) food. It is separate from the food and is powder that I mix in. (Recommended amount is usually around 1/4 teaspoon but I give about 1/8 teaspoon when everyone is healthy.) I believe that it is best to add water to the food when giving a probiotic or enzyme.

http://www.vetinfo.com/difference-between-enzymes-probiotics-dogs.html

I think that this provides a pretty good description of the benefits of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

I believe that the brand that I use is called NutraVet.

I feed plain yogurt to my dogs daily and often times on trial weekends (when they get lots of treats -- I use cheese & boiled chicken) I will crack open a can of pumpkin to be on the safe side.

My little dog gets Natural Balance food rolls cut up into little squares as his training treats. It's essentially just pressed dog food and we have not experienced stomach upset with this (he also is a sensitive little guy).

Personally, if I were you I'd start working on transferring your dog's primary motivation to toys. Train with toys and then you don't have to worry about the treat aspect at all. Treats may still come in handy or be needed for certain things (end behaviors on contacts, perhaps), but if your dog is turned on to toys you can do the bulk of your training with them.

Thank you for the resonse.

Googled this and still don't understand what the difference is between this and just regular treats? And why would they work for a dog with this type of problem? I'm willing to try it...just don't understand it.

It's because there is only one ingredient. So if your dogs normal food has fish as the protein then you would get freeze dried fish treats or if your dogs food has chicken then get freeze dried chicken. That is the one and only ingredient so there is nothing new or different to upset your dogs stomach.

http://www.amazon.com/Stewarts-Pro-Treat-Freeze-MiracleCorp-Gimborn/dp/B0002DGRSY

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Life-Pet-Natural-Chicken/dp/B000NV83SM/ref=sr_1_20?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1331663956&sr=1-20

There are some links. I didn't realize that some freeze dried treats actually have meat and cheese. I have only seen just the dried meat ones in stores near me.

How is she with just a little bit of the treats? One thing I like to do is make a "mixed bag" of treats where I take some regular kibble and mix some high value treats into it. The the scent/flavor will mix with the kibble making it higher value. I do about 25% high value to 75% kibble.

Archived