BC Boards

Splitting Advantix

~*Regina*~

Willow will soon need some flea and tick preventative and I was looking at all the options out there, seems like K9 Advantix will work the best but it's very $$. Someone told me that I could split an XL Dog application in half and have 2 months worth instead of 1 (Willow weighs 35-40lbs). This would save me a lot of $$, does anyone else do this?

When I used the Pro-Meris for Willows demodex mange I bought the largest one and the vet split them up, each application for the larger dog was 2 for Willow. I was hoping I could do the same thing for the Advantix.

This is what size she would get if I did go by her weight:

0.084 fl oz (2.5 ml) applicators for dogs 21-55 lbs (Red).

This is the one I would split into 2 applications:

0.135 fl oz (4.0 ml) applicators for dogs over 55 lbs (Blue).

I just noticed that If I did split the larger one it would be 2.0 ml so it would be 0.5 ml less per applications. Is this going to be a problem with her? She weighs 36lbs now but shouldnt grow to much more. I just want to make sure she is not getting under medicated.

O, and where do you buy the covered syringes?

Thank you all so much for helping me out with this!

You can buy syringes from some feed supply stores or internet places (like Jeffers, KV, and so on). Or your vet might sell you one (but maybe not). You can order or buy syringes and/or needles together or separately. If you order something from Jeffers or KV, you may just be able to order a couple of syringes with needles for drawing off the flea treatment, administering (take of the needle for this), and then storing (with the needle and cap back on).

Archived