BC Boards

advice

With my Golden, I would raise my knee into her chest (pretty hard but not enough to really hurt her) when she jumped up and not acknowledge her until she was calm and quiet, then lots of lovin'. I've heard of trainers that say to turn your back on them, but I never had much luck with this. A knee in the chest works pretty good IMO.

With my Golden, I would raise my knee into her chest (pretty hard but not enough to really hurt her) when she jumped up and not acknowledge her until she was calm and quiet, then lots of lovin'. I've heard of trainers that say to turn your back on them, but I never had much luck with this. A knee in the chest works pretty good IMO.

This site (http://www.awla.org/dog-jumping.shtml) has a lot of suggestions. I'm struggling with the same issue with my year old pup. I don't think there's any strategy that will work for every pup -- try something for awhile, see if there's an improvement, and if not try something else (knee, walking away, etc.).

Good question. I am going to check out the site above. (Thanks Jim).

Actually, one thing that works really well is to enlist people who will help you train your dog not to jump up. To extinguish the jumping on people behavior, it is sooo much easier when you do not have to do everything yourself. I trained him not to jump in puppy class and beginning obedience. The problem was taking him out in public when he would get excited about seeing people. He would sit appropriately. then the person would say "how cute", lean down and start petting him, and when they stood up, he would go up with them. Even at 4 years old, he will sit for someone, but then he has figured out that if he then 'crawls' up their leg, he gets lots of loving. I would reprimand him, but everyone usually said "That's OK. I love dogs." Well, that is not the point. Sigh.

And my dog trainer friends were the worst offenders. They knew what they were doing, but did it anyway. I figured out the game, and if their dog jumped on me, I would love him a lot too. :D:D

Anyway, what I am saying is that I believe that you have to be careful even if your dog is trained not to jump because well-meaning people can sabotage your best efforts (most people do not realize what they are doing.)

Jovi

Archived