BC Boards

Some questions about food

I'm bringing home a puppy next Saturday and I'm starting to get everything in order for his arrival. I planned to feed him Taste of the Wild because it seems like an affordable grain-free food. I was wondering if the puppy formula is actually necessary, though. I know large breeds require it because they can grow too quickly and whatnot, but what about border collies? Did y'all feed puppy formulas? I just don't want to do something wrong. :mellow:

Also, it's obviously cheaper to buy the 30-pound bag of food... but is that smart when I first start feeding? I've heard BCs can be picky eaters, but does that apply even when they're little? I'm wondering if I should buy a smaller bag first to test it out (though you'd think if the pup is hungry, he'll eat).

osbh2e.jpg

Oh, and that's my little guy. I'm still thinking of a name.

Thanks!

What a cute pup! Congratulations!

I think that you will get varying opinions here so go with the one that makes the most sense.

I suggest feeding puppy chow for a few months. Some people feed until their pup is a year old. The breeder I got my pup from suggested switching to adult food at 4-5 months of age. I think the main concern is not to overfeed to the point where the pup is pudgy. So if you are feeding a high-calorie puppy food, just make sure that you do not feed too much. I believe (but do not know for a fact since the information is often proprietary) that puppy food, in addition to being higher calorie, has a different mix of vitamins, minerals, etc. than adult food, and that is why puppy food might be important for a growing pup.

I also like grain-free food.

My BC and BC mix have always eaten with gusto. No problems there.

I would definitely not buy a 30 lb bag of food for a puppy. My two adult dogs (30 lbs and 40 lbs) go through a 30 lb bag of food in 5-6 weeks. (I do supplement with some Honest Kitchen food which extends the length of time between bags of kibble.) I think that if you are going to pay extra for a premium dog food, you should feed the freshest possible. For that reason, I prefer not to have dog food sitting around for more than ~6 weeks +/- and I try to buy food from stores that have a high turnover of product.

Good Luck with your pup.

Jovi

I think the main concern is not to overfeed to the point where the pup is pudgy. So if you are feeding a high-calorie puppy food, just make sure that you do not feed too much. I believe (but do not know for a fact since the information is often proprietary) that puppy food, in addition to being higher calorie, has a different mix of vitamins, minerals, etc. than adult food, and that is why puppy food might be important for a growing pup.

Another issue is the excess of calories and nutrients can encourage fast growth, creating or exacerbating joint and bone issues like OCD and pano.

Nothing at all against TOTW (I feed it myself, and my dog's trainer does as well). Agree absolutely about not over-feeding puppies. The feeding instructions on most bags of kibble are absolutely ludicrous - you'd be waaay overfeeding IME.

A couple of points, though:

1) I know a lot of people who don't believe in feeding puppy food once pups go to their new homes - can lead to over-nutrition and joint issues (e.g., OCD, CHD) later. I know people who suggest a transition to adult food no later than 4 months; I've heard others suggest even earlier. YMMV; talk to your vet.

2) Any food changes in puppies (or even adult dogs, if they have delicate digestive systems) should be done gradually. So - find out what your pup is eating NOW. Plan on introducing any changes over the course of (at a minimum) one week after your pup comes home. It's far too easy for a puppy's tummy to get upset by an abrupt change in diet.

ETA: there are a couple of different formulations of TOTW. I know a lot of people who would recommend keeping puppies (and some who would even extend this to older dogs) on the lower protein versions. Again, talk to your vet. And expect to get a lot of differences of opinion from the general population, just as no two individuals will give you the same advice about raising a child.

1) I know a lot of people who don't believe in feeding puppy food once pups go to their new homes - can lead to over-nutrition and joint issues (e.g., OCD, CHD) later. I know people who suggest a transition to adult food no later than 4 months; I've heard others suggest even earlier. YMMV; talk to your vet.

ETA: there are a couple of different formulations of TOTW. I know a lot of people who would recommend keeping puppies (and some who would even extend this to older dogs) on the lower protein versions. Again, talk to your vet. And expect to get a lot of differences of opinion from the general population, just as no two individuals will give you the same advice about raising a child.

What do you mean by over-nutrition?

Anyway, the puppy formulas of TOTW have 27% and 28% protein. The dog formulas have 25% and 32% protein, so while the 25% adult food is lowest, it also has 1.9% calcium, and I was told 1.5% is the max you want your puppy to have. I planned to keep him on the puppy formula for at least 4 - 6 months.

What do you mean by over-nutrition?

Anyway, the puppy formulas of TOTW have 27% and 28% protein. The dog formulas have 25% and 32% protein, so while the 25% adult food is lowest, it also has 1.9% calcium, and I was told 1.5% is the max you want your puppy to have. I planned to keep him on the puppy formula for at least 4 - 6 months.

By "over-nutrition", I simply meant "overfed". As has been stated numerous times on these Boards, Border collie pups shouldn't be roly-poly. Keep them lean if you wish to reduce the risk of joint problems.

My trainer only uses the 25% protein formulations of TOTW (even on her adult dogs); I've been following her lead.

Archived