BC Boards

Book Recommendations?

OurBoys

I know experience is the best teacher but I'm trying to learn a little about chickens and goats before I actually get them so I'm buying books to read up on them. So far I have

The Goat Handbook by Ulrich Jaudas and Seyedmehdi Mobini

Goats, Small-Scale Herding for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver

Get Your Goat, How to keep happy, healthy goats by Brent Zimmerman

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

Keeping Chickens with Ashley English

I really like Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens so I'm going to order Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. Does anyone have any other books on chickens or goats you can recommend? Since I have zero stock sense my biggest concern is if/when they get sick and what I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Since I have zero stock sense my biggest concern is if/when they get sick and what I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Chickens get sick?

I've had more problems with weird chicken behavior than I've had with chicken sickness. If there's a chicken psychology/psychiatry book out there, that would be immensely useful.

Mostly it's just about keeping the pens clean, keeping them from beating each other up, feeding them a varied diet, offering grit, and keeping mites away. If you have polish hens, or some other types, they may need assistance to keep clean. Bog standard red hen mixes tend to be both healthy and immensely entertaining. Keep the mild-mannered breeds away from them, though, as they may get scalped. Quarantine's a good idea for newcomers. Injury's a big thing- keep foxes etc well away.

http://www.chickenhealth.net/

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites

Sorry, I know this wasn't what you were asking for, and you more than likely have gathered all this already. Hope it helps anyway.

Thanks for posting the links, simba. I joined the backyard chicken forum a few days ago. When I start reading posts I don't know when to stop. :huh::) I've saved the other one too.

I know I'm probably over-thinking this and the best thing I could do is just get some chicks and go for it. But, I'm scare they might not survive plus we aren't supposed to have livestock in our subdivision. The fact DH is wanting to get some anyway isn't helping.

Thanks for posting the links, simba. I joined the backyard chicken forum a few days ago. When I start reading posts I don't know when to stop. :huh::) I've saved the other one too.

I know I'm probably over-thinking this and the best thing I could do is just get some chicks and go for it. But, I'm scare they might not survive plus we aren't supposed to have livestock in our subdivision. The fact DH is wanting to get some anyway isn't helping.

Pullets or older chickens are much easier to keep as a first-time owner than chicks, if that's any help. The older they get the hardier they are.

But chickens are pretty hardy in general. Don't worry too much about it. Just pick a breed you like, which suits your situation, and get them from somewhere reputable.

I've had more problems with weird chicken behavior than I've had with chicken sickness. If there's a chicken psychology/psychiatry book out there, that would be immensely useful.

I am suprised, i thought chickens didn´t have enough brain in that tiny skull for a psychiatrist to work with.... :D

I am suprised, i thought chickens didn´t have enough brain in that tiny skull for a psychiatrist to work with.... :D

I have browsed through the Table of Contents of a number of books so I don't remember the title of it but believe it or not one book had a section for clicker training a chicken. :blink: As bad as I want chickens right now, I'm not going to clicker train a chicken so I can call it my pet so I can keep/raise it here.

But chickens are pretty hardy in general. Don't worry too much about it. Just pick a breed you like, which suits your situation, and get them from somewhere reputable.

Thanks, simba. That's what I needed to hear. I keep telling myself people raise chickens all the time so I can too. I need to stop doubting myself.

I really enjoyed reading Chick Days. It's a simple, short, easy, and enjoyable read and has a lot of good info. We are following it pretty closely with our chicks, which we just picked up last Thursday. So far, they are happy, healthy, active, and thriving. We are planning to move them to a bigger brooder box today or tomorrow because they are quickly out-growing the box that we currently have them in.

So did I. Don't get me started on 'Batshit Crazy Things Chickens Do'. Suffice it to say, don't let the hens bully the dog, don't let them know food comes from the house. Do not let them run away with spoons. They eat any and all leftovers (in moderation as a supplement to a normal diet): pasta, ice-cream, peas, potato, meringue...

You are going to have such fun. It's like having your own soap opera running outside the kitchen door.

I did have a hen who sat on command, as a kid. The days before the x-box, may we never return to them!

You are going to have such fun. It's like having your own soap opera running outside the kitchen door.

That's what I keep reading (chicken football). I really need to start staying away from the chicken forum. Now I'm wondering about growing mealworms. Because, you know, my layers are going to be needing protein in the winter time when the bugs/insects aren't around. In the meantime, the bluebirds around here would love them. Right??

I really enjoyed reading Chick Days. It's a simple, short, easy, and enjoyable read and has a lot of good info.

Thanks, Mary!

I almost caved in yesterday while I was cleaning out the garden. I started thinking if I had some chickens I could just put them in there and see how much of the garden they could clean for me and/or if I had some chickens I could put them in the fenced in compost area around March to stir it up for me. We could make a great chicken coop under the back deck. We even have a plug-in receptacle under there I can plug a light into for warmth if needed though this winter we don't.

Archived