BC Boards

North Yorkshire in April

Took a deep breath and made my plane reservations today. We'll fly to England on April 4 - home on April 24. We'll hire a small car - one that fits on Yorkshire roads that are so narrow they know that painting a center line would make you laugh enough to have an accident. My driveway is wider than those roads.

Two nights in Haworth at the start; two nights in Holmfirth at the end; one night outside Heathrow before we fly home.

But a fortnight (April 7-21) at a self-catering in Hawes.

So, any border collie events anywhere in that area? Anyone we could visit? It's about our 10th trip to that area, but there may be things we've missed.

Yes, we've stayed outside Thirsk and visited World of James Herriot. And York - the Minster, Clifford's Castle, Castle Museum, walked the walls. Bits of Scarborough and Whitby. Bede's World & Hadrians's Wall. Wander around Richmond and Middleham. Visit the breweries in Masham (always plan on the Sunday carvery at Black Sheep). Tan Hill. Windemere and the ferry to walk the Sawrys. Muker and Gunnerside and the Corpse Way. Of course, Hardraw Force - even High Force. We've climbed Wetherfell and Adlebrough - and gotten lost somewhere each time - quite enough for a couple of senior citizens.

But we are up to new adventures. We'll consider any and all suggestions. And come for puppy-fixes if invited.

But

I do not know the dales very well, I come from the Yorkshire Moors area, So I just had a look at the map to see where you are staying.

I would highly recommend a trip to the Lake District, it truly is a stunning place. For something different look up Rievaulx Abby, a little bias on my part as my dog is named after the place, but another one of Yorkshires stunning sites.

For the picture perfect village there is Hutton-le-Hole, a tourist nightmare in summer but still lovely.

Helmsley is nice market town, that is also worth a visit. It is one of my familys favorite day out spots.

Archived