BC Boards

age to start a pup

Krisztina

Hi, I was wanting to get a few opinions. My pup Finn is 3 months old and I've taken him out to sheep this weekend, to see how he would respond to them.The sheep were very very dog broke, so I wasn't worried about him getting injured.I've lived in Texas and recently moved here from Ireland but believe it or not, this is the first real opportunity I have to work my dogs consistently. I've spoken to trainers and farmers in the past and some say they wouldn't start their pups till they are at least 6months. Some tell me they won't even let their pups see sheep till that age.The woman I bought Finn from starts her dogs on sheep at 3-4 months,depending on the pup, not seriously but letting them interact,etc with the sheep and encouraging them to go around,balance,etc.I know it depends on the maturity of the dog as far as age to start it, I was just wondering what anyone thought of starting them at this very young age. Even if the dog is mature enough to start, could this complicate orweaken further training when he's older? Thanks for any opinions,advice!

I'm am NOT any kind of expert on stock-work. My only 2cents I wanted to add is that too much hard running/pounding before the growth plates are closed can aggravate or even cause some lamenesses/orthopedic problems. (like OCD in the shoulder, dysplasia or laxity in the hip joint, pano. . .) But I would think as long as you kept it to round-pen type work once a week or so I can't imagine that would be that much 'pounding'. That's not real high-speed stuff.

As far as training. . I don't know! I'm just starting!

My overall gut feeling is to wait until the dog reaches near the end of it's single digits in months- say, around 8-9 months. Even if some dogs look ready, there is a whole lot going on in their heads, and pups really don't have a handle on a lot at under that age... Of course, there are some exceptions...

Julie

Szia Krisztina!

I wouldn`t let any BC under 1 year of age undertake 'challenging' physical herding training.

However, just a few minutes every other-day (or so) behind some well dogged sheep wouldn`t hurt at all.

It`s the jumping/hard turning and being knocked(or kicked) by sheep that is the risky thing for a youngster.

The first year of life is critical growth time for an active BC`s skeleton, so concentrate on balanced feeding for a 'normal' growth-rate, with appropriate (gentle) daily excercise to build good-fitness and musculature.

Be aware that training-progress may stop and start throughout the first years; don`t pressure any youngster to do 'too much, too soon'

Debs.

P.S

Watch out when working those Hungarian 'Rakka' sheep (the ones with huge 'barley-twist' horns) even experienced BC`s are leary of working them! :rolleyes:

Welcome!

This weekend I saw what the ideal would be. If I weren't able to keep my six month old pup working with his brain on, like he was doing most of the time this weekend, I wouldn't do it for the sake of his joints. In other words, if I didn't have the handling/training ability to stop my pup from being a total hooligan, or if he weren't mature enough to handle the pressure, then I'd wait until he were older to do any regular training.

thanks, the sheep we are using are very very dog broke. if i do let him continue once a week or so for a few minutes, i would stop if i realized he wasn't listening to me. when he gets a bit older i won't take him out to sheep unless i have a reliable down or recall on him. i certainly don't want him at this age thinking he can do what he likes with them and i don't want to be too corrective with him either at this age. i wouldn't be worried about putting him off the sheep but i don't want to dampen his confidence. i've only taken him out to sheep once this weekend but as far as physicality, he puts alot more energy into chasing his ball!finn doesn't know the meaning of gentle play, unless he's just woke up from his nap! love those rakka sheep. i haven't got much experience with them but i know they're tough!!