BC Boards

Changed dog food and am finding I have to feed more

Sue R

Check out the articles on raw eggs and biotin deficiency as well as the bioavailability of raw vs cooked eggs.

The articles I am finding seem to relate to human digestibility. Is it going to be the same for dogs? I guess I always assumed that for things like meat, bone, eggs, raw was best for dogs rather than cooked.

Enlighten me? Is it just humans or would dog digestion be the same?

And why do guys showing their muscles have to have their pants barely covering their rudder? I probably don't want to be enlightened on this question.

The same info is true for dogs as far as eggs go.

Bones are safer (in some ways) raw because they don't splinter as badly as when they are cooked. However, with raw bones you risk food poisoning.

Gentle cooking generally makes food easier to digest, allowing us to extract more nutrients. Cook something too long and you destroy those same nutrients. (This seems to be true of some dog foods that are cooked at very high temps.)

I personally don't think the answer is an all raw or all cooked diet. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

The articles I am finding seem to relate to human digestibility. Is it going to be the same for dogs? I guess I always assumed that for things like meat, bone, eggs, raw was best for dogs rather than cooked.

Raw egg whites contain avidin a protein that binds biotin (one of the B vitamins). The good news is as long as you feed the whole egg [white along with a yolk] you are providing plenty of biotin.

So no worries for the bodybuilders or the dogs :)

After reading this discussion, I checked out a couple of websites of the foods mentioned. With regard to finding a purchasing strategy to try and control price, it seems that I would have to buy quite a bit - more than I could use in a couple of months.

How long do you feel comfortable storing a dried, quality kibble without degradation of nutrients (or without the food going rancid)? I realize that the answer to that question may depend partially on the storage environment.

Thanks,

Jovi

The Dynamite kibble that I buy last one year unopened. However, my students buy it so I order every six weeks. The raw dogs food store in the freezer and I use it up by six months. See if you can get people to help when you buy in bulk. Another Dynamite dealer and I go halves on a ton order. It's is the only way that I can afford it as it cuts down on shipping...otherwise I could not afford it.With two LGD and up to 12 dogs, we go through quite a bit.

Tess only gets one cup otherwise she gets fat as a pig! Nan gets two cups, Rainey get one. Roo gets three cups.

Diane

I switched from Canidae to grain-free TOTW when Buddy developed scratching issues. Almost immediately, I noticed that his weight climbed up if I fed him the same amount of grain-free. I now do only 1/2 cup twice a day, and he maintains his weight just about right. The label tells me to feed him 2 cups or more a day - so I'm actually doing half the recommended amount. (My dog is not a working dog, and pretty much sleeps all day when I'm at work - he gets two walks a day, sometimes strenuous and sometimes not.)

In the end, I don't think I'm paying more for TOTW than I did for kibble with grain, because he needs so much less to thrive. YMMV.

Mary

Archived