BC Boards

Scared border collie

My family adopted a border collie today from a local rescue. She was a stray with a litter aged 1-2 years. On the car ride home she was a total sweetheart, if only a little nervous. Following most articles about what to do when you first take a dog home we let her walk around our yard and she had a ball. Then she found a place to hide between some bushes and our garage. She has been there for about 6-7 hours and has not budged. When we approach her, she stares at us intensely and cowers. She is shy, but never hid from us before. Do any of you have any ideas as to how to get her to come inside and stay in her crate instead?

post-12617-054231500 1315004776_thumb.jpg

ahhww, what a lovely little face. poor scared girl. i would probably sit out there near, but not too near. not facing her, but sideways perhaps, with some incredibly yummy treats. mmm bacon. when she comes, give many treats. don't try to grab too fast. take it easy. see if she'll just follow. if not maybe quietly, gently slip a leash on. i would keep her leashed to me-really- till she settled into a safe mode.

Hopefully you have gotten her into the house by now. Have you tried luring her into the house with some yummy treats. She is such a beautiful looking dog. You are an awesome person for adopting her and giving her a good home. Whatever you do never give up on her. Maybe she is feeling a bit insecure and needs time to trust you and to feel confident that she is in her forever home. I wish you all the luck in the world. :)

She looks like a doll. I agree with trying to feed her very, very yummy treats while sitting/approaching sideways. Do not look directly at her. I have heard good things about Patrica McConnell's new book, "Love Has No Age Limit" (I think that is the title) which covers what to do when you first bring a rescue dog into your home and how to deal with some behavioral problems.

What is her name?

Jovi

Archived