BC Boards

Grieving?

Jeri Jessee

Hi, I'm new to the Board--

Three weeks ago, I lost my 15 year old Border Collie (Reno) to pancreatitis and some other issues. Our house was heartbroken. My 11 year old Border Collie (Spur) seems to be grieving--they were big buddies. He is eating/drinking/eliminating/tail wagging but is not nearly as enthusiastic as he was previously. Two other factors: 1) a week prior to losing Reno, Spur had dental surgery and was neutered. Everything went well with the surgery and recovery; and 2) two weeks ago I brought home a 4 month old female puppy (Maggie). He is doing pretty well with her, for the most part he ignores her if possible. I had not planned to get another puppy so soon but she "found" me.

Spur has always been a very happy and eager dog so I'm thinking its a combination of all three things: grief over Reno, maybe feeling differently after being neutered at a late age and jealousy over the new puppy.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts or experiences to share. I'd like to try to help him get back to his happy self.

Hi there ~

The best thing I can think of is just give Spur as much of your time as possible. Dogs do grieve, we've been through it a couple time here at our house, and sometimes the older dogs never do entirely bounce back to their old selves. They also may not warm to a younger dog brought into the family. They just don't always have interest in that new young upstart, and yes, they can be a bit jealous. I'm sure you're already making sure that the pup doesn't bother him too much.

So, I think your love and attention will be the best medicine for him. Spend extra time with him, and if possible, do special things with him or take him places, just the two of you. That sort of thing. Time and care are the best solutions, and if he remains a bit subdued in the future, that's just how it goes. As I said, we've been through it a couple times and you have my sympathy. Hug Spur once for me!

And my deepest condolences on the loss of Reno.

~ Gloria

Thanks so much. Yes, I'm trying to give him extra love and attention. Ideally I wouldn't have brought a new puppy home until he was feeling better but our house was so sad and Maggie was just right for us. I was a bit encouraged this morning that he actually played with her albeit a bit rough.

Ah, then maybe he'll warm to her, as she gets older. Our older boy is kind of that way. Puppies are annoying, but by the time they hit 6 months old, he starts thinking perhaps they're not a waste of fur. ;)

Best of luck with Spur and little Maggie!

~ Gloria

After my first Border Collie died, our old lady (13 at the time) gsd X just moped and moped, she was always a dog that had bouts of moping, but this was bad. The only time she lit up was when we went for a walk and she saw another dog. So our plans for waiting 4-5 months went out the window and we got Brody who was 3.5.

Jester and Brody never became friends, truthfully I think they just plain annoyed each other BUT Jester no longer moped and returned to being a happy dog, and we enjoyed her for another 2 years, my husband and I believe that it was jealousy that kept her going, - if that youngster is going for a walk so am I.........

Glad to hear Spur is starting to play with the puppy. That is a good sign. I agree with the advice to him extra attention and affection. Time should help. My Sheltie was in a fairly profound depression after one of my dogs died 7 years ago. It took her at least a few months before she started playing and acting like herself again.

This reminds me of the story in one of the James Herriot books, where a dog's companion dies and the old dog goes into a life-threatening decline. Then a pup enters the family and is determined to be friends with the old boy - and you know how it goes from there.

Some dogs grieve, some don't, I think it all depends on the situation - but they certainly can grieve and feel loss.

It all sounds like it is coming together for Spur and life is getting very good again!

Archived