BC Boards

Geriatric dog and heat

KrisK

Yet another Zachary issue :( The heat and humidity has been constant for a couple of weeks now. Because Zachary has a heart condition and is 17!, it has been brutal for him. Aside from having a fan blowing on him when he's resting, is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable?

Do you run the air conditioning, or is that just not something one normally has in your area?

I almost never run it because it's costly and we have to work outside so need to be acclimated (and frankly, I freeze in a/c), but on a day like today (101, humidity makes it feel like 110), I did turn on the air and set it at 85. It took the humidity out of the air and all of the dogs (and me) were much more comfortable (because when it's that hot outside, 85 feels positively frigid!).

You could also try one of those cooling beds or cooling body wraps. I had a cooling gel bed ages ago and wasn't real thrilled with it, but others have used them with success and they may be better now. I think old dogs lose their ability to regulate their own temperatures somewhat. Last summer when it was awful I turned on the air for Boy. This summer I guess it will be for Jill (who will be 15 next month and also has heart issues), though she really wants to hang outside in the dirt, but if I can convince her to come in, she can have a/c.

Normally I just have fans for them all and make sure there's plenty of fresh, cool water.

J.

Hannah is having the same issues and I worry about her with her heart and kidney issues. Last summer I got her this.

IMG_5690.jpg

Its made out of that material you use for drying off a car (the stuff you get damp and then dry the car with). When its dry its all hard and when its damp or wet, its flexible. You get it wet and then put it on the dog and it stays damp for a long time and keeps them cool underneath the material. It goes over her back and there is also a part on the underside of her chest to keep that cool. We were out on the boat for over an hour in the sun and she never panted at all and Turbo was panting the whole time. She wasn't laying in the shade either other than when I took that pic.

I've got four dogs now over twelve. Our previous house had no air and the temps hit the 100s at least once a week from April to Sept to years running.

We shaved their undersides. We trimmed up all the hair on their pads. We took that Mars coat king thing and really thinned their coats. Relentlessly.

There was, of course, a blower on the floor just for them. Not a fan, one of those commercial blowers like for shops. Tongues do better with directed flow. :)

Lu lives outside. I did all the grooming stuff for her, but she wouldn't come in for the fan.

Here Lu does come in for about two hours at night and rests in the air until the night cools down. The front door is left open at night so this is her choice. It's cute.

The house looks very small when Lu is in here. :o

No air conditioning here since this type of heat and humidity for extended periods of time isn't the norm. I'll check out the cooling beds and jackets. I do use a dampened towel to wipe his underbelly and put it on his pads. He's going for a haircut soon but he really doens't have all that much coat.

thanks all!

Kris, Our Giant Schnauzer is 13 now and we keep him cool by shaving him down completely, including leg furnishings...but not his beard. He also has access to a slate floor which he likes. He doesn't like the cooly blankets but they are effective. Other than that, just access to cool water helps

Cynthia

In addition to the frozen water bottles, I used to also put slushy water in a "hot water bottle" so the dog can move the more flexible bottle into a comfortable position[\quote]

that's a great idea - I just happen to have a hot water bottle!

I have had some success with those neck-wraps with crystals that absorb moisture. You soak them for awhile in cold water and then tie them around your neck, or your dog's neck in your case. Maybe even around his "heart-girth" if he's small. It's most effective if it crosses pulse points. Maybe it would help to trim the hair short where the wrap lies. Not too tight of course, but it lasts for hours, and they're cheap. Here's a place to order them:

http://industrialsavings.com/hard-hats/940.html

With the temperatures topping 32C around here, I finally got Zach to a groomer and had him shaved. I was leary of doing this, since anxiety seems to bring on seizures but I decided to take the chance. It was a good idea...no seizure and even though it's hotter today than yesterday....NO panting!! He's still in front of the fans, and I've used a freezer gel pack to keep him cool - he is definitely a happier boy!!

I need to shave Sergeant the giant schnauzer...He's starting to look like a briard!

Glad that helped, i'm going to feeze up some water bottles as well, take the caps off and let them thaw into a bucket...provided no one picks them up to play with them

cynthia

Archived