BC Boards

Update on Danny

Hi all! It's been a while (darn life gets in the way) so I thought I'd update everyone on Danny. I've had him for 10 months and can't believe it. I think back to all the difficult things we went through and wonder how in the world I did it, but would do it all over again. Danny is turning out to be so very special to me.

I think back to the things we've accomplished. The major thing is we had a fence built so he would feel secure in the back yard. I tried for three months to walk him and it just wasn't working. Then, because it was so muddy, we had a patio built and he LOVES it out there now! (My $300 dog has ended up costing me well over $4000, but he's worth every penny. :D) Once that fence was built, it was like a whole new world opened up. It took a while for him to be comfortable out back and not jump at every sound, but now he's pretty good. He still doesn't like loud noises like motorcycles, leaf blowers, things like that. We had a very long road to becoming potty trained, but all of a sudden it was like a light bulb went off in his head. "Oh, this is what you want me to do!" He potties on command, even. He has earned the right to sleep unrestricted in our bedroom and to have the run of the house when I'm not home. Makes me feel better, knowing he and Lacee can keep each other company. Not that I'm gone more than 2 hrs. at a time ever. Can you say no life? :rolleyes: He just this past week started going up to my husband and even allowing him to open the back door for him to go out. Now that is nice. I was able to sleep in yesterday for the first time in 10 months! Maybe someday I'll be able to go away for a weekend and not worry about him. He's still nervous around friends and family who come to the house, but whereas he used to make himself scarse, he now will check out who's here and just stay on the steps and watch. Oh, and he's ball crazy. And loves to play with Lacee.

So all in all, he's made great strides. We're still working on walking in public. That will probably wait till it gets cooler and darker earlier. I might try walking him when it's dark. Maybe he won't be so nervous.

I have a couple of videos of him I thought I could share. They're nothing special, but it shows how far he's come from being a timid little boy.

Him and Lacee playing:

His ball obsession:

This one is just a cute one of how intense he is when I talk to him:

And finally, we're working on tricks. I'm trying to keep his mind occupied. He knows sit, shake, lay down and Say Hi. This is his Say Hi. Lacee had her turn next...she an expert, so she patiently waits her turn:

I am really happy to hear how well he is doing! You have made such a loving change in his life.

Cute videos show just how far he has come - very enjoyable!

Very best wishes!

PS - Love the couch cover.

Thank you! I wish I could have gotten my video camera soon enough this morning. My husband gets up at 4:00 to go to work, so I'm up with him. Danny loves that time to play outback because it's dark and quiet! I left him for a minute to put in a load of laundry when my husband yelled at me that Danny was going crazy. I ran over to look and he was doing his zooming around and playing with this HUGE rock he loves. He rolls it around the yard like a Polar Bear....it's so funny to see. We call it Danny's Rock. :P Anyhow, he had us both laughing so hard. It was a nice way to start the day.

Yay, Danny! First of all, he is gorgeous. Second of all, look at how far he's come with your love and patience! What luck that you all found each other. :) Cute videos, too.

Thank you! I think he's gorgeous myself. :P I look at his face and melt. I think it was fate that we ended up together. I actually saw him a whole year before I adopted him and fell in love. He wasn't ready to be put up for adoption at the time.

They are both beautiful dogs. I love the one of them playing together and don't you just love that cocking the head thing?! They seem like such good buddies. :)

Thanks for the compliments on both. Lacee has really put up with him better than I thought she would. She had been an only dog for four years, so had some adjusting to do. But she does play as much as her old body will allow.

And, yes, the cocking of the head thing is what makes BC's so special. It's like they are really trying to understand every word you say.

Archived