BC Boards

New family members

becca1980

I just moved in with my boyfriend who has a female border collie, Josie who is one year old. I have a border collie, Maggie, who is also about a year old. So, Maggie is new to this environment and Josie has been living here for about six months. Josie has been very friendly to Maggie, but Maggie has been aggressive with Josie. They did not fight, but it seemed that Maggie was "warning" Josie. I have read some very discouraging advice and then encouraging advice as well and I am just looking for more opinions and recommendations on how to handle this situation. I have never seen Maggie be aggressive like this with any other dog, so I am confused and surprised by this behavior. Any advice? Thanks!

1) figure out which one really is dominant and treat that one as the dominant dog. Feed that one first, pet it first, let it out first, etc.

2) they do need to work things out for themselves since they are now members of the same pack, BUT, in my house at least they are not allowed to use their teeth to do it. I let my dogs posture and growl but as soon as they look like they are going to use their teeth I tell the more submissive dog to cut it out. It's important to not correct the dominant dog because that will increase the tension in the pack.