BC Boards

Should I feed Phoenix before herding clinic?

Joe Anne

I would like to know the general consensus about whether I should give Phoenix his breakfast before our Intro to Sheep class/clinic?

He eats twice a day, we will be leaving about 6:30 am for a 9 am start. I don't know how it is determined what order the dogs go in and it is likely to be a very long day. I live about 2 hrs away, so it will prob be late when we get home.

If you think I should feed him, should he get his normal meal, or less or should I add a little more protein????

I also have to give him dramamine for car sickness (no drowsy formula), so I will have to give him a little something with that.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right, especially for Phoenix and Amica (his sister).

Thanks in advance.....

Joe Anne - Hope and I and the dogs were at Susan's for a lesson yesterday and we talked about this upcoming intro. She's real excited about it and I think you will have a great day. We enjoy Susan's lessons a lot and I think you will have a good time there, and perhaps choose to take lessons regularly (can we spell, "addicted"?).

I feed Celt his normal breakfast on a lesson day since it's 3-4 hours before he does any work from when he eats. A dog that is going out to work strenuously or for a long time, or in very hot weather, may be better off just eating once, later in the day. A rancher/trainer that I am familiar with always feeds his working dogs at the end of the day because too much work, too soon after eating, can result in vomiting.

I don't think that will be an issue for you as you and your dog will work (I expect) shorter periods of time, interspersed with other folks working their dogs and some time answering questions, etc. At least that's the format of clinics/intros that I have attended elsewhere.

I don't think there will be an issue with him eating (maybe make his breakfast a little smaller than usual, and make up the difference in the evening), particularly since he needs "something" in his tummy for the dramamine. I just feed Celt his normal food - no use "messing" with the menu when there's going to be some excitement and activity. A certain regularity in the dogs' routines probably won't hurt.

Best wishes for a fun and educational day!

When I travel to work my dogs, they get a small breakfast. (I feed raw, so its basically protein.) I think it keeps them from getting hypoglycemic (also keeps them from being so hungry they want to scarf up every sheep turd they see). But I don't like to feed much within 1-2 hours of heavy exercise if possible. If he gets carsick, maybe give him just enough to keep down the dramamine, take the rest of his breakfast with you. Then when you get there, you'll find out how soon he will be worked and feed him the rest accordingly. Also, make sure he has plenty to drink if it's going to be a hot day. There is water avalable at the farm, too.

I would like to know the general consensus about whether I should give Phoenix his breakfast before our Intro to Sheep class/clinic?
No, you don?t want to feed prior to working a dog. Him missing a meal or even his days rations will not harm him any.

If you think I should feed him, should he get his normal meal, or less or should I add a little more protein????
Adding ?extra? protein will serve absolutely no purpose nor benefit your dog, especially when talking about the night or day of said event.

I vote feed him:) I give my guys a little less feed, when I'm hauling somewhere, usually because I have to leave early...it's no biggie, never had a sick one yet. Plus if this is your dogs first time on sheep, you will more than likely be in a pen, and chances are if it's a clinic, you won't be in there all day LOL. I would just make sure you have plenty of water for you and the dog. You're going to have so much fun:), you won't believe it. Enjoy.

My dogs are fed once a day, in the morning, and I always feed them, even if they are going to work or run in a trial. Personally I think sticking with your regular routine is better for your dog. When I have to run early in a trial, I just make sure the dogs eat at least two hours before they run. I've never had any problems doing it this way. I tried skipping feeding them in the morning on trial days but didn't see that there was any advantage to doing so, and I went back to my normal routine (and it hasn't seemed to have hurt our performance). And I've certainly never had any issues with vomiting or anything like that when they are worked hard after eating (caveat: I don't mean worked hard right after eating, though even that has happened with no ill effects when the neighbor's cattle got out and they called me to help get them up right after the dogs had been fed breakfast). On hot days, the most important thing is that the dog get plenty of fluids. I actually add lots of water to my dogs' food (kibble soup) so I know they have plenty of liquid going in.

When I used to jog a lot, I always went in the morning, and on the mornings when I didn't at least have a protein bar before going out, I found I had far less energy/stamina than if I ate something, even if just a protein bar. So I always sort of figured that the dogs might feel the same way....

J.