BC Boards

He who pees last.....

DH made an interesting observation yesterday....

Robin has always been king of the mountain since puppy days. He's just that kind of a dog. And, since he's "grown up", he's spent an awful lot of time peeing on everybody else's spots...you might call it a hobby.

When the pups were little, Ladybug automatically peed over their piddle though after awhile she stopped this behavior - about the same time Robin started peeing over her spots -. He saw a Siberian Husky pee on a post at obedience class when he was four months old and a whole new world opened up to him. You could see it in his baby blue eyes. SO THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT. He came home and started hiking his leg on every fence post around the edge of the yard....MINE MINE MINE MINE.... as high as he could hike his leg. He still makes the rounds... MINE MINE MINE. Fine -- there's lots of posts on the boundary to keep him occupied. Stay away from the hedges and the pool and the garden fence. They're MINE and he knows it.

Brodie never really caught on to that hiking of the leg thing - at least not very high - and he's never yet dared to go near one of Robin's posts - though he pees next to the wire (not the post) but suddenly, this morning -- right out in the open for everyone to see, Lady pees, Robin pees on her spot and along comes Brodie and defiantly pees after Robin right on that spot!

The world has shifted on it's axis.

Buddy has a friend, Comet, down the street. He and Comet will circle Comet's yard as long as I let them - peeing and repeeing over each other. That one poor hosta! It's a wonder it grows at all in the summer.

If we're walking down the street and another dog is ahead of us - or even if a friend-dog is walking alongside us - Buddy will insist on having the last position in line. Partly, I think, because he's fearful. But mainly, I suspect, because it means he gets to PEE OVER EVERYONE ELSE'S SPOT!

Buddy would far rather overmark another dog's pee than actually interact with the dog in the first place. He'd rather find a pool of a friend-dog's pee than actually see the dog, I sometimes think! It feels to me that evolution has replaced the original purpose of the symbolic mark (leave a trace that you were here - to send a social signal to other dogs who come later OR mark your territory) with a strange, meaningless drive (overmark each other's pee even if you are standing right next to each other, and even if you live in the same house!).

Weird what's programmed into their minds, eh? :D

Mary

It feels to me that evolution has replaced the original purpose of the symbolic mark (leave a trace that you were here - to send a social signal to other dogs who come later OR mark your territory) with a strange, meaningless drive (overmark each other's pee even if you are standing right next to each other, and even if you live in the same house!).

That sounds exactly like facebook.

Buddy has a friend, Comet, down the street. He and Comet will circle Comet's yard as long as I let them - peeing and repeeing over each other. That one poor hosta! It's a wonder it grows at all in the summer.

If we're walking down the street and another dog is ahead of us - or even if a friend-dog is walking alongside us - Buddy will insist on having the last position in line. Partly, I think, because he's fearful. But mainly, I suspect, because it means he gets to PEE OVER EVERYONE ELSE'S SPOT!

Buddy would far rather overmark another dog's pee than actually interact with the dog in the first place. He'd rather find a pool of a friend-dog's pee than actually see the dog, I sometimes think! It feels to me that evolution has replaced the original purpose of the symbolic mark (leave a trace that you were here - to send a social signal to other dogs who come later OR mark your territory) with a strange, meaningless drive (overmark each other's pee even if you are standing right next to each other, and even if you live in the same house!).

Weird what's programmed into their minds, eh? :D

Mary

Mary,

interesting observations - as Brodie is a bit on the fearful side himself - I saw it as a tentative move up the ladder -- something to do with the mashed potatoes and roasted chicken gravy I've been feeding the little sprite for the past month. He's quite a bit perkier with all those carbs :). Even his ears are more at attention. Robin, meanwhile, is still Robin -- ignoring the nonsense, though he is a bit annoyed he can't catch the little devil on the playground anymore :).

Archived