BC Boards

ABCA membership question

CLW1

I just downloaded a membership form for the ABCA and noticed that you have to be a member by Jan 1st, 2011 in order to vote in the 2011 election. I guess this explains why I didn't get a ballot for 2010 since I joined in Feb 2010.

The only correspondence that I rec'd from the ABCA in 2010 (either in very late Dec or early Jan 2011) was a Dec 2010 newsletter. That newsletter is what prompted me to send in another membership form for 2011.

If there are any Board members reading, I'm wondering why you have to be a member by Jan 1st? Wouldn't Jan 30th give members time to send in their new membership forms and allow them to vote? What about sending a mass email to members reminding them to renew membership, or post to Sheepdog-L or here (if that happened, I missed it). The newsletter I rec'd was great and very informative but unfortunately too late to remind me to send in my membership form in order to vote in 2011. I'll send in my $10 for membership anyway, but I'm disappointed to not be able to have a voice when it comes to voting.

Mr/Ms CLW1 asked,

If there are any Board members reading, I'm wondering why you have to be a member by Jan 1st? Wouldn't Jan 30th give members time to send in their new membership forms and allow them to vote? What about sending a mass email to members reminding them to renew membership, or post to Sheepdog-L or here (if that happened, I missed it)."

I'd guess the membership requirements are in the original bylaws which would be difficult to change. Mass mails are terribly expensive and some older members (fewer every year) aren't computer literate.

Like the Dog Fancy, we sheepdoggers are haunted by our history. When the ABCA and USBCHA were started, the community was very much smaller and meetings were held at sheepdog trials. There is something to be said for organizations whose Directors will have exhibited great skill as dog handlers to be elected and some on both boards are also great communicators, but given genuinely democratic organizations (and both are), the peculiar effects of the internet, and volunteer directors and committees it's hard to know how the ABCA and USBCHA could (and/or should) communicate more effectively.

Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

The newsletter with the membership renewal notice arrived here prior to Dec. 15th. The renewal policy as it applies to voting rights was included in the notice. Dec. 15th was the date that I sent our memberships, a litter registration and the survey in. I don't see why that is not ample notice.

Curious CLW1, did you send your survey in?

Deb

Like the Dog Fancy, we sheepdoggers are haunted by our history. When the ABCA and USBCHA were started, the community was very much smaller and meetings were held at sheepdog trials. There is something to be said for organizations whose Directors will have exhibited great skill as dog handlers to be elected and some on both boards are also great communicators, but given genuinely democratic organizations (and both are), the peculiar effects of the internet, and volunteer directors and committees it's hard to know how the ABCA and USBCHA could (and/or should) communicate more effectively.

What reason could there be for either organization to not strive to communicate more effectively?

The "community" is now much larger and technology makes it fairly easy to communicate effectively with little effort.

I never even rec'd a ballot for USBCHA - I had to write and ask for one. I've never rec'd anything from them otherwise, but as new member I don't know if they send out any sort of newsletters, etc. Perhaps having to ask for a ballot is the norm too, I don't know.

The newsletter with the membership renewal notice arrived here prior to Dec. 15th. The renewal policy as it applies to voting rights was included in the notice. Dec. 15th was the date that I sent our memberships, a litter registration and the survey in. I don't see why that is not ample notice.

Curious CLW1, did you send your survey in?

Deb

Yes, I did send in my survey. I stand by my opinion that a newsletter sent in December notifying members that they need to renew by Jan 1st in order to vote is not ample time. Between mid-Dec and Jan 1st there are 2 major holidays, vacations, etc, it's a busy time of the year.

What reason could there be for either organization to not strive to communicate more effectively?

The "community" is now much larger and technology makes it fairly easy to communicate effectively with little effort.

The information is clearly posted on the ABCA website and it's implied on the membership form: "$10.00 fee for Annual Membership (Due before January 1 of each year)". How would you suggest this information be more widely and clearly disseminated?

Membership - ABCA: A Member's Organization

Membership Requirements:

Owners of Border Collies, or their duly authorized agents, who are of good moral character, are eligible for membership in the American Border Collie Association. Persons wishing to use the services of the Association to register a dog or dogs must first become members. Transfers of ownership will be processed so long as either the new owner or the previous owner or the breeder is a member.

They become members by applying to the Secretary for membership, along with the payment of dues. There are two classes of membership: annual or life. For voting eligibility, lifetime or annual, it must be paid by January 1 of the year for eligibility to vote in the fall election.

The membership must also be kept active, with a registration or a transfer or a notation of hip or eye clearance at least once in a period of five years, in order to maintain voting eligibility.

The information is clearly posted on the ABCA website on the same page where the membership forms can be downloaded. How would you suggest this information be more widely and clearly disseminated?

How about a reminder on this board or Sheepdog-L? "Please renew your membership by Jan 1st if you want to be able to vote in the election, otherwise you can join at any time during the year."

It's sort of easy to overlook or forget the fact that you have to be a member by Jan 1st if you want to vote and I'd think that the ABCA would want to encourage members to renew in time to do so. Call me lazy or stupid (I'm actually neither) or whatever for missing the voting requirement, but I missed it both last year when I joined after Jan 1st and at the end of this year when I didn't renew my membership by Jan 1st. So now by the time the election rolls around in Sept 2011 (?) I'll have been a member for 20 months and have paid to register dogs and a litter and paid 2 years worth of membership fees but I can't vote.

I'm sure I'll remember to send my $10 in on time for 2012.

I've been a member for a number of years now, probably never sent my membership in in time to vote, and realize it's my own darn fault for not doing my homework (at the website) and getting it done on time.

That said, I wouldn't mind the renewal going out in November, because December is a crazy time of year at home, on the farm, and at work.

I am lazy, and do a pretty good job at being stupid.

How about putting a reminder on a calendar (electronic or paper) in November or early December? It's easy with today's digital calendars (in a PDA, cell phone, PC, etc) and just as easy to flip to December in a paper calendar now while it’s on your mind.

The official word on this is that the requirement for sending your membership dues in before the Jan 1 deadline is a requirement laid out in the original Articles of Incorporation of the ABCA, which is why it does not appear in the ByLaws. Therefore, the statement on the website is correct.

I guess I would say that most groups could improve their communications in some way or another. The newsletter is sent out when it is for a number of reasons. The AGM is held in late September. That is when new Directors are elected, and the year-end financial report is presented to members. The conference call for new Directors didn't take place until late October and the newsletter was prepared after that.

I'm happy to suggest to the Communications committee and the BOD that we take a look at emailng a reminder notice to those members who have email and either mailing one out to those who don't or seeing if it is feasible to get the newsletter out earlier and include a prominent reminder.

So, thanks to the original poster for pointing out something that many members may not have been aware of.

Pearse

Archived