BC Boards

Flyball or the tennis ball obsessed dog

We had the greatest practice sunday. There was a snow storm so only 3 dogs showed up to class, my Jude, another border collie and a beagle. He was doing a swimmer's turn but once the ball went into the box he got into "ball mode" and everything went out the door. He either gingerly grabs the ball, or slams for it. Nothing in between. So we did a few ball in box tuns, using our bodies as guides and it was sorta working. Then we started backchaining over jumps, runs with the ball on the floor, then in the box seeing how the dogs would do. The dogs knew the word turn meant "4-paws on that weird box flip-thingy".

Jude would run, stop, get ball, then saunter back. I think his recall speed is also affected by the stop at the end, and the loss of momentum. So at point I was just talking to him before I released him "Jude now turn on that box, you know what the word turn means, so just do it.. ok? Now Jude, turn turn turn..." I release him and when he was about on the box I just yelled "TURN!!" And by-golly, turn he did, catch that ball he did..And oh yes, he drove back to me!! I had an armfull of tennis balls and when he came back, I threw them all in the air, and the look on his face, "BALLZ" he was soo happy. And I was so happy. :lol:

It was a light bulb moment for both of us. yay! ^_^

Archived