BC Boards

Another Milestone

Debbie Meier

I went to a small cattledog trial down in Arkansas this past weekend, Jake and I got our first Open win!! It was a point time trial out in an open field.

I also ran Ricky in Open and in Nursery, I messed up and got greedy in the open class, I was barely holding on to him when I tried to retry and obstacle for a higher point option, if I would have taken what I had and got out I think that we would have been 3rd in the Open, dumb move by the handler. Wish the kid had the same amount of self control as his sire, he couldn't take the pressure, the alligator was on the loose and I couldn't recapture it. Oh well... I left him down at Marc Christopher's for a month or so, can't wait for our next trial in February.

Marc and I worked Ricky yesterday morning before I left, things were looking up real fast, he transitioned right to Marc as if he was trained by him, kinda nice when your dog transitions right over to your mentor, it makes you feel like your not too far off base, it was the first time that Marc ever worked with him directly.

I also worked with Patty down there (6 month old), she looks to be ready to start taking some basic training on stock. Marc gave me some more points of things that I need to adjust and change with my approach, basically helping me figure out where I have been going wrong with Ricky, I'm struggling with fine tuning. I will be doing my homework on Patty, it will be neat to see if I can progress her and how far she is when I return to Missouri to pick Ricky up. BTW, Patty is looking promising too.

I also got to see some of Marc's pups (16 weeks old), which are cousins to Ricky, they are awesome, little working machines. Seeing them and another cousin work that was about year old really gives me a better idea of what I should look for along with more things to do with our young pups when the next litter arrives and starts to fire on stock.

Archived