BC Boards

Teaching Stay, and foundation games.

Chantal

And I mean a phenomenal, don't move one cm until you're released stay. Jude is two now, and I'm ready to up the game. I've started moving up the distractions, distance, me going crazy you can't move until I say so. It's working great, but does anyone have any fun games I can make it into? I'm not very creative that way haha, but the boy learns best when everything is made into a really fun game. I love learning games. Also any other pre-agility foundation games would be great. We have most of the skills down, but games to really reinforce them would be great!

Also, since I loved the 2x2 stuff from susan garrett i'm looking at her other stuff now, and crate games has me interested, but I don't really know what it's about.. All her blog stuff always mentions it, and how it's great for self control, stays and recall.. But when I look at the video all I see is dog's driving in and out of there crates. Jude is fine in his crate, he loves it actually. It's his den. How does it help when you take the crate away? I would just like a review of it really, because her video shows me nothing.

Thanks! :)

Cha cha stays. ball toss in front of dog, most of what I have for distraction proofing is for groups. I have a big list but not time to send right now. I use games exclusively when teaching the 4H kids I work with. Their stays get so good that we had to actually work on silent stays cause the dogs thought it boring that nobody was doing anything at shows during the stays. LOL!!!!!

Mary Ellen Barry just released a mulit-CD package that deals with agility foundation skills. My friend loves it, and the feedback on the Clean Run site is very positive. (You can purchase it from Clean Run.) I am not sure how game-oriented it is though. Sorry, can't answer your question about "Crate Games" although I have heard positive things about it too.

Pam,

Just curious, what are silent stays? Are they stays where there are no distractions i.e. really boring?

Jovi

I've heard good things about crate games, but I have also seen dogs who were trained through the crate games who cannot relax and have no self control outside of a crate. It's pretty extreme - when in the crate the dog is relaxed no matter what. Once released, the dog will go nuts at the slightest stimulus. I'm not saying this is a universal thing, but it is something to be aware of. I'm not sure what steps are supposed to be taken within the crate games to help the dog generalize the concepts to outside of the crate, but it is obviously something that can be missed.

Dear Doggers,

When we had a commercial flock I'd bring the young dog into the lambing barn and down him as far from the jugs as possible. He was quite safe but the ewes would stamp and threaten. I'd use my hands and body to reinforce the "stay". If he broke it too soon - a minute at first - I'd return him and repeat. I'd release him out of the barn after he held the stay. Fairly quickly, he'd learn that the ewes wouldn't come out of the jugs after him and I could move the dog closer and lengthen the stay. By the time the last ewes left the barn, my dog would stay anywhere outside a jug while I watered and fed. These dogs would stay anywhere safe for half an hour, forty-five minutes (including obedience classes and offices they'd never been in before) - unless some dope came up to them with a Kootchy-coo.

When you integrate training into work and life you forget decisions were once made and absent one feature (the lambing ewes) training methods must be re-examined. I've had my new (5 year old) sheepdog since October and I wouldn't trust her to stay 2 minutes anywhere. Guess I'll have to =ugh - TRAIN her.

Donald McCaig

Dear Kris,

Fly was and is a piece of work. We've come a ways since you saw her and Fly refused to work for me. Next weekend we'll run our first trial at Dawn Boyce's in Georgia. We're not ready - I've shed with Fly exactly twice and she/I aren't solid on her new whistles. I'm planning to take her to the Dakotas in June. We should be ready by then.

Donald McCaig

Archived