BC Boards

It never ceases to amaze me!

Even after all of these years, it never ceases to amaze me to see how perceptive these Border Collies are!

Tessa is starting to figure a lot of things out. She's a lot like Dean in that she is a thinker, but she tends to keep her conclusions to herself much more than he does.

Every day we go out to play as a group and she has found her place in the Border Collie play scheme. She runs, with a tennis ball in her mouth, after Dean. She can actually run faster than he can, but he is still the one who actually retrieves the toy to my hand (she will learn eventually, but that's not high on my list for her right now), so he is the one who leads the game. Speedy orbits the two of them, keeping his eyes on Dean to make sure he finds the toy when it lands. Seriously, if Dean loses track of it, Speedy shows him where it is. That's part of their game.

Anyway, I have formed the habit lately of gathering up the toys before we go in and placing them in the flower bed by the gate so they are ready for us the next time we come out.

Today, Tessa very deliberately trotted over to the flower bed as I was gathering up the toys, and she was waiting there for me when I got there. She put her ball down in the mulch and gave me a very clear look. "This is where they go". I had to laugh.

It shouldn't surprise me after these years with Speedy and Dean, but it still does. :D :D :D

I wish Bear and Domino would put their toys away, but everynight, before we go to bed, I let them bring in one toy, in case they wake up in the middle of the night to play, but they will tear everything out, throw the toys on the couch and then calmly trot to the bedroom with their chosen toy. Then I'll put everything away and first thing in the morning, they do the same thing, throw the toys around. Bear had it for awhile to put her toys back when she was done, but then Domino came around and it's like she's completly forgotten everything she had learned about manners.

The toys in the house in the box are always getting taken out and strewn around the house. Dean will put a toy into the basket if I cue him to, but left to his own devices, he systematically removes all of them.

Of course, it makes perfect sense for him to put his ball in the dishwasher as I am loading it, but the idea that toys are supposed to live in the basket does not work for him.

Haha! Maybe I will train Tessa to put the toys in the basket. Then when Dean takes them all out, she can clean them up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The toys in the house in the box are always getting taken out and strewn around the house. Dean will put a toy into the basket if I cue him to, but left to his own devices, he systematically removes all of them.

Of course, it makes perfect sense for him to put his ball in the dishwasher as I am loading it, but the idea that toys are supposed to live in the basket does not work for him.

Haha! Maybe I will train Tessa to put the toys in the basket. Then when Dean takes them all out, she can clean them up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was Ladybug's job for quite awhile - cleaning up after the pups! Robin will put balls in the basket and Brodie, like Dean, only takes things out! Love the picture of Dean "helping" with chores.

Liz

Archived