BC Boards

Are Border collies really psychotic?

PennyT

In a very general way, I think it's interesting to look at correlations between behavioral variations in humans and dogs. Certainly, I think our social-mammal brains deal with the world in similar ways. It makes sense to me that "different" brains among both species would share some characteristics, too.

Here is my dog:

1) Easily startled

2) Doesn't like to be looked in the eye

3) Doesn't like any surprises (Say, when the woman we walk with EVERY DAY happens to have her daughter with her. He won't bark at the daughter if she's alone, but if she's unexpectedly with Ginny, he acts like she' the devil.)

4) Wants a space bubble around him; will freak out if it's violated

5) Is much happier day to day if given directions for how to deal wtih spooky situations (new dogs, loud noises, etc.)

Early on in living with Buddy, I learned that if I said, "My dog is a little autistic," people could understand his worldview better and act more appropriately with him. I don't know if there's any relation between what Buddy has and the wiring of my students who are on the spectrum, but sometimes I'm amazed at how my work with Buddy has trained me in better working with my autistic students. Just the other day, I circumvented a meltdown with a student, and thought, "Oh - that's exactly what I would do to keep Buddy from freaking out."

So, while Buddy's mind might not be in any way similar to the minds of my students, looking at them all through the same prism WORKS. It's interesting to think about.

Mary

Archived