BC Boards

Thoughts on OCD Survey?

gcv-border

A friend sent me the following link:

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/behavior/case_current.shtml#3

Tufts Univ Vet School is researching OCD behavior in Dobermans, BCs, Bull Terriers & GSDs. I am curious as to the opinions of the BC owners here (who are definitely more experienced in the field of BC behavior than vets - IMHO) with regard to this survey -- and with regard to OCD behavior in BCs. i.e. does it exist as much as some people may believe?

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth -

Personally, I find the questionaire (sp?) very superficial. I would hope that if they identified 'affected' dogs, they would do a more in-depth interview.

Based on what I have learned here, I don't believe that a true OCD state exists in BCs as often as some people may believe. It seems that much of the "OCD behavior" is due to bored BCs, and that the behavior disappears or improves markedly when they are actively engaged and appropriately managed.

I think that because BCs, in general, are very intelligent and energetic, they can display OCD behavior (fly-shadow-light chasing, excessive paw licking, etc.) more frequently than other dogs breeds. I am not sure there are 'affected' and 'unaffected' BCs. Maybe they are all 'affected'. :lol: That would really skew the results. :P

Looking forward to your opinions and discussion.

Jovi

Most Border Collies are just a bit obsessive, but there are dogs within the breed with true OCD. They can't stop themselves from doing the repetitive behavior. If you have ever met one of these dogs it is very sad to see how distressed they can become.

Most Border Collies are just a bit obsessive, but there are dogs within the breed with true OCD. They can't stop themselves from doing the repetitive behavior. If you have ever met one of these dogs it is very sad to see how distressed they can become.

That is so sad. Do you know if it occurs in certain lines? (I am assuming it does if it is genetic?)

I continue to learn from this board.

Jovi

It is clearly genetic in some breeds and can be reliably traced through bloodlines. The purpose of the study is to see if the same gene is found in other breeds (like Border Collies). Eventually they will be comparing their results to humans with OCD to see if they also have the gene.

Claudia, the genetic tendency must be there for true OCD, but it can be made much worse by a stressful event. Virtually all Border Collies have OCD tendencies (workaholics by nature) and may exhibit repetitive behaviors if extremely bored.

Archived