BC Boards

Merle's Door

geonni banner

This book was given to me by a cat person who pronounced it "OK." I think it is much better than OK, and I cried like a baby at the end. It was a bittersweet ending, as the end of a dog's life tends to be. But this dog had a wonderful life. The sadness is mostly for his owner, Ted Kerasote, a writer who lives in Wyoming, in a log house with a view of the Tetons.

Mr. Kerasote is clearly besotted with his subject, and I was too - at least as besotted as I'm ever likely to with a dog of mostly retriever antecedents.

Merle is a very likable dog, and Mr. Kerasote has a lot to say about the happiness and well-being of dogs that I, personally, agree with. I have known a lot of "Merles" in years long past and places not in the city. I wish all dogs could lead such lives.

Anyway, it's a good read. Remember the kleenex for the last chapter.

I agree that Merle had a wonderful, free dog life because he lived in an environment which allowed free-ranging dogs. I would recommend "Merle's Door" as an interesting dog read, but with a caveat - the ending is tough. The person who recommended the book to me had the same tearful reaction to the ending, but I (the cynic that I am) did not need the Kleenex -- instead, I got increasingly PO'd at the author. I don't want to say more for those who would prefer to discover the ending themselves.

Jovi

This book was given to me by a cat person who pronounced it "OK." I think it is much better than OK, and I cried like a baby at the end. It was a bittersweet ending, as the end of a dog's life tends to be. But this dog had a wonderful life. The sadness is mostly for his owner, Ted Kerasote, a writer who lives in Wyoming, in a log house with a view of the Tetons.

Mr. Kerasote is clearly besotted with his subject, and I was too - at least as besotted as I'm ever likely to with a dog of mostly retriever antecedents.

Merle is a very likable dog, and Mr. Kerasote has a lot to say about the happiness and well-being of dogs that I, personally, agree with. I have known a lot of "Merles" in years long past and places not in the city. I wish all dogs could lead such lives.

Anyway, it's a good read. Remember the kleenex for the last chapter.

Have your read The Art of Racing in the Rain?

Yes kleenex could be needed in the end but I felt it was a dignified ending for a special dog.

Can't remember the author at the moment.

But GREAT BOOK!

Archived