BC Boards

advantage and diarrhea

n0mad

My dog is nine years old and came in contact (read layed in) some hair that had come off of a dog that had lice. I put advantage on her yesterday and today she has come up with diarrhea. I don't use advantage normally, it's what I was told to use at the vet clinic to kill any lice she may have picked up. I live in an apartment so it isn't like she got into something outside and the only other thing I can think of that would be different was that my boss gave her a couple of Beggin' Strips yesterday early afternoon.

If she was sick from the Advantage, would it have taken this long to show up? She shows no other symptoms other than this very abnormally upset stomach. If it were the dog treats I'd have thought she would have had the problem yesterday. I'm concerened because I'm supposed to reapply the Advantage in two weeks and I don't want to do that if that's what's making her sick.

the only other thing I can think of that would be different was that my boss gave her a couple of Beggin' Strips yesterday early afternoon.

If she was sick from the Advantage, would it have taken this long to show up? She shows no other symptoms other than this very abnormally upset stomach. If it were the dog treats I'd have thought she would have had the problem yesterday. I'm concerened because I'm supposed to reapply the Advantage in two weeks and I don't want to do that if that's what's making her sick.

I'd be more inclined to suspect the Beggin Strips, simply because they're pretty junky, and the only symptom was diarrhea. Has she had them before?

The best test would be to give her a couple of those strips again, and be prepared to trot her outside. If she has the runs again, it was the Beggin Strips. If not, then ask the vet if there's anything else that can be done to kill the lice.

Good luck!

Ruth

I'd be more inclined to suspect the Beggin Strips, simply because they're pretty junky, and the only symptom was diarrhea. Has she had them before?

The best test would be to give her a couple of those strips again, and be prepared to trot her outside. If she has the runs again, it was the Beggin Strips. If not, then ask the vet if there's anything else that can be done to kill the lice.

Good luck!

Ruth

She's not one to get an upset system from food normally and the staff at work are always feeding her something but the Beggin Strips were the only other thing that could be considered different (normally they're throwing her biscuits and bits of their lunch). Perhaps I'm over worried because I had another dog who got sick the two times he had it on and a relative was told by a vet not to use it on her dog, but he was sensitive to other things as well.

I'm sure my boss will be glad to give up a couple more strips for the sake of finding out so when I go in tomorrow we'll see what happens. She was really sick yesterday but had a good night so that's probably what it was. Thanks

Well, it was NOT Beggin Strips. My son was mistaken when he said that's what she was given, they were a chicken treat that I was told the whole staff has been feeding her for a long time now, so that means the Advantage was the only thing different.

Well, it was NOT Beggin Strips. My son was mistaken when he said that's what she was given, they were a chicken treat that I was told the whole staff has been feeding her for a long time now, so that means the Advantage was the only thing different.

Now you know. Hopefully the vet will be able to recommend something else for the lice. Thanks for the update.

Ruth

Archived