BC Boards

Disc dog!

Am just about to start Sam in disc dog trials... !! We are going to a clinic first then the following day we'll go for our first competition! Am pretty excitied!

Any tips or advice out there for a newbie to this dog sport?

Sam LOVES to play frisbee games and is really very good at least I like to think so... am hoping he will do well!

I took my Chi-Ann to a couple of Disc Dog Competitions. I really felt sorry for her as her mom was a bit handicapped when it came to throwing correctly. So, after a few not so good times for my throwing, I ordered a book and DVD on how to play this game correctly. I learned a great deal by these items. Now, at least, I can throw the disc properly. That is about 90% of disc dogging. Chi-Ann loves to go to the park and play this game. I am no longer trying to compete in this sport, but we do play as often as possible as it totally gives her something fun to give her something else besides agility. I bought a bag full of good discs, as I tried the less expensive ones, but she would destroy them in a moment. So, invest in the tougher discs for the dogs protection as they can really get cut with a chewed up disc. Just have fun with the dog, and the people that are involved in this sport are awesome. It is a very fun time. Here is the link, if you aren't aware of it already, for the book and DVD.......http://www.hyperflite.com/

Good luck, I too am new at this sport, hoping to travel this summer and go to a trial. I'm sure you'll do great!!

I have a question on this topic, is there any competition legal frisbee thats similar to the kong flyer, i've tried a couple normal frisbee, and plastic dog ones and Jude's gums keep bleeding so I always revert back to the kong, but as far as i know you can't use them :(

Good luck, I too am new at this sport, hoping to travel this summer and go to a trial. I'm sure you'll do great!!

I have a question on this topic, is there any competition legal frisbee thats similar to the kong flyer, i've tried a couple normal frisbee, and plastic dog ones and Jude's gums keep bleeding so I always revert back to the kong, but as far as i know you can't use them :(

Hyperflite Jawz discs will hold up to tough bites: http://hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html

Andrew Yori and his pit bull Wallace have made quite a case (pun intended) for those discs! Wallace is the gorgeous pup on the package. They really do hold up to just about anything.

Good luck in the competition! I'd love to see a video! I've done disc with my dogs since the day I brought them home, but haven't actually ever entered any competitions.

i've tried a couple normal frisbee, and plastic dog ones and Jude's gums keep bleeding so I always revert back to the kong, but as far as i know you can't use them :(

Are you looking for a softer disc?

I have a few of the SofFlite (http://hyperflite.com/sofflitediscs.html) discs for Meg. She doesn't have trouble with her gums, just prefers the softer ones. They are easier on the mouth and she hasn't put a knick on one yet. They fly pretty good too...competition approved.

The color rejects are cheaper if you don't care if they are perfect: https://skyhoundz.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SFCR

I got one that was clear, one that was green with no words/image printed on it, and one that I'm not sure why it was considered a color reject...looks fine to me.

Allison, I read some of your blog and certainly could relate to the teeter problems. My Chi-Ann was petrified of the "bang". This is what I did. I had my husband purchase a 10'x 1' board which I painted and coated, just like a real teeter. I then put some beanbags under the mid section, just enough so it would move. Kind of like a wobble board, which I also have but didn't help the situation of the teeter. After I got her going over the "teeter" with the bean bags under it, I purchased a base on EBay. I assembled it to the lowest height I could and encouraged her over it. Piece of cake. I then put it up to the highest height and she just went over it like it was something she did on a daily basis. So, the next time we went to class she just did the regular teeter with no problem. My trainer couldn't believe it, as he tried and tried to get her over the teeter in class and she was terrified.

I have to say, I have a room in my home set up for her training room, so there is carpet under everything. But, now she does it at class with the "bang" and all and she is fine.

Thanks! I like the bean bag idea. When we decide to tackle the teeter again, we'll try that. In class, Meg was so worried about the teeter that she wasn't having fun with the rest of it so for now we're going to give up on the teeter so she can relax again. When we do start competing it will be in NADAC competitions (with no teeter). They are held 15 minutes from my house in a building nearly identical to the one we have class in so a perfect place to start. I would like her to learn the teeter still, if for nothing else than to boost her confidence. I think slowly building up to it at home like you did would be a bug help her too.

Sorry for going off topic. :unsure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30883994@N08/5197011554/

Sam won 6th place in the "gamblers" run.. a new event so not official but may be some day! You had to throw the frisbee at least 10 yards as many times in 45 seconds and Sam had to catch it depending on where he caught it, the 10, 15, or 20 yard line.. he got points, if he had all four paws off the ground then he scored an extra point, then at the 45 second mark time is called then we have the gamble.. one more throw which has to go past the 20 yard line and sam has to catch it! The gamble being is... if you decide to do that last throw and he doesn't catch it you lose points! This is the first time Sam and I have ever competed in any kind of dog sport event so was very new to us both! Sam did really good.. it was me who either messed up my throws or was not in the right place :-/ ohn well.. it's a learning curve right?

I can't seem to figure out how to add pic's any more... ? have included a link to a picture of him with his ribbon looking soooo proud! :-)

Tips for the newbie discdogger . . . so many!! But you will learn as you go. Find a good club to hook up with and you should be able to find someone to answer any question you may have. There are many online resources, websites, and disc-specific forums as well.

Archived