BC Boards

viruses transmitted from ovines

maisie

Hello,

This topic is really a continuation of my previous one of strange paws.

As I wrote my 4 mth bc is suffering from what seems to be a neurologic disorder, as is at least 1 other pup from the litter. Independantly we have had opinions from 4 different vets, 1 of these vets thinks that it is a virus transmitted from the mum while she was still feeding the litter. The mum was worked on goats the day after giving birth, she also worked every day.

Anyone know of any viruses that can be transmitted from ovines to dogs?

Thanks

I dont know an answer for you but, I've been looking at Cow stuff mostly in their feces. It turns out that can cause a hemmoragic state if you develope the strain of ecoli infection. I know tons of places thought they had strep zoo but, this would seem so much more easy to get. esp in rural areas.

I dont know an answer for you but, I've been looking at Cow stuff mostly in their feces. It turns out that can cause a hemmoragic state if you develope the strain of ecoli infection. I know tons of places thought they had strep zoo but, this would seem so much more easy to get. esp in rural areas.

Those are bacteria, not viruses, big difference.

Could you ask the vet(s) what diseases they think are transmissible? Just telling you that's the possible reason for your pup's neurologic condition seems a bit unsatisfactory to me. If the vet thinks that's what the problem is, then it seems to me the vet ought to also have an idea of what disease might be the culprit.

J.

Not to belabor the point that I was talking bacteria vs virus but, It would seem more likely that the mother passed bacteria than viral to her pups if the vet feels it's from the mom and working goats. The only stuff I even found realted to goats on the internet is in Africa and other 3 world places. I'm sure there is stuff but not alot of references.

Has he ruled out a physical cause? Is the bloodwork totally normal?

Hello,

Blood tests begin on Fri, but it seems that this vet thinks it could be Brucellosis, have had a look on the internet myself on this, and have to say from what I read, well I hope it's not!

Obviously until the tests are done, we just don't know.

This is from this site:

Brucellosis

Brucellosis is a disease caused by a bacteria, Brucella canis. It is found throughout the world. It is spread through contact with aborted fetuses and discharges from the uterus of infected bitches, during mating, through maternal milk and possibly through airborne transmission in some cases. The bacteria enters the body through mucous membranes and spreads from there to lymph nodes and the spleen. It also spreads to the uterus, placenta and prostate gland as well as other internal organs at times.

In female dogs, infection leads to abortion or early death of infected puppies. Infected females may have no other clinical signs. In some cases there may be decreased fertility rather than abortion. This may be due to resorption of fetuses early in their development.

In male dogs, infection of the testicles can lead to infertility due to anti-sperm antibodies developed as the body attempts to fight off the bacterial infection. The testes may atrophy after the initial period of swelling. Scrotal enlargement or infection of the skin over the scrotum may be seen.

In both female and male dogs there may be infection of spinal discs (diskospondylitis) which can cause back pain and rear leg weakness or even paralysis. Eye inflammation may be seen in either sex.

It is not usually possible to culture Brucella canis bacteria from the blood or affected tissues so diagnosis is usually done by titer testing. There is a kit available to veterinarians for testing in their office. It is usually best to retest any dogs found positive on this test with other testing methods since there is a fairly high rate of false positives using the in-house test kit.

And the Merck manual has this to say about Brucellosis in sheep:

Brucella melitensis infection in certain breeds of sheep causes clinical disease similar to that in goats (see Brucellosis in Goats). However, B ovis produces a disease unique to sheep, in which epididymitis and orchitis impair fertility—the principal economic effect. Occasionally, placentitis and abortion are seen, and there may be perinatal mortality. The disease was first described in New Zealand and Australia and has since been reported from many sheep-raising areas of the world.

And this about goats:

The signs of brucellosis in goats are similar to those in cattle. The disease is prevalent in most countries where goats are a significant part of the animal industry. It is rare in the USA. The causal agent is B melitensis . Infection occurs primarily through ingestion of the organisms. The disease causes abortion about the fourth month of pregnancy. Arthritis and orchitis may occur. Diagnosis is made by bacteriologic examination of milk or an aborted fetus or by serum agglutination tests. The disease can be eliminated by slaughter of the herd. In most countries where B melitensis is endemic, vaccination with the Rev. 1 strain is common. Rev. 1 is an attenuated strain of B melitensis and is administered by SC or intraconjunctival routes.

I would ask for clarification on whether your vet is referring to B. canis or B. melitensis. I know these diseases are considered zoonotic and can be transmitted to humans, but I wonder if the species that infects goats can also infect dogs. And if the owner of the bitch has goats but doesn't have problems with abortion or the other signs of brucellosis in her herd, then I'm not sure how the vet would come to the conclusion that the goats are the actual source of the infection, since brucellosis is also a disease of dogs and is one thing that many people will test for before breeding two dogs.

J.

Archived