BC Boards

A Good Day of Freestyle

Yesterday Speedy and I went to our last Freestyle competition for the year. Since he is getting on in years and there are a lot of moves he can no longer do because of his arthritis, I am competing with him now in the Senior division.

We have had the opportunity lately to practice weekly at a different training facility and this really put Speedy in the right frame of mind yesterday. When we got to the competition, he knew what he was there for and he was ready to go! Didn't even want a walk down the road when we first arrived! Luckily, we were early in the program!

The look on his face during our opening pose says it all! Before we went in for our turn, there was a bit of a delay, and Speedy was standing there looking at the audience with a look of anticipation on his face. I loved it and I love this photo of Speedy. You can see he is absolutely delighted was to perform.

SpeedyStart.jpg

This is the full picture. I'm not quite set up yet. Had the photographer taken this a second later, it would have been a good shot of our opening pose.

BothStart.jpg

Speedy's arm move. He always wags his tail like crazy when he does this one.

Arms.jpg

This was toward the end - kicks.

KickCloser.jpg

Speedy in his ending pose. Still happy!

EndingSpeedyBetter.jpg

Ending pose with both of us. The one above is an edit from this.

EndingBoth.jpg

Unfortunately, I only have photos, no video. There was a bit of a mix up with my camera. But I am glad to have these pictures.

Speedy performed beautifully and earned his Beginner Title for the Senior Division. On to Novice . . . again! :) It was a great day. The best part was seeing how much Speedy is still enjoying this. Every time I think he's about ready to start winding it down, I'm wrong! :)

He's only nine. And he is very much young at heart!

His arthritis is the thing that makes him a senior. He was first diagnosed when he was only 5, so he has had it for most of his life. But in the last year I've really noticed his Freestyle becoming more limited.

He still moves very well in everyday contexts. Every day he runs with Dean and he plays ball and he still loves to hike and swim and enjoy trips to the beach.

At home he gets stiff when lying around a lot, but once he's moving, he's fine.

Some of the Freestyle moves are just beyond him now. He can't do leg weaves because they throw his shoulders off. He can get up on his hind legs to do the "arm" move, but no freestanding hind leg work or his back end will stiffen. He can still pivot, but it has to be slow. He can usually sidepass, but some days he is crooked when he sidepasses.

He loves it, though. He prances so beautifully and - in this routine - right in time to the music! What he does, he does with all his heart. :)

Archived