BC Boards

Briar lacks confidence

Cheri McDonald

We went to lessons last night and took Briar with us this time. She showed very little interest her first time on the field. Second time we tried lighter sheep and brought Choice our trainers dog out with us. She did a little better the second time, but seems to lack confidence and kept coming back to me for reassurance.

Rob is doing great, he is really beginning to back off and is slowing down which makes things a little easier on me. I have to say this is so hard but what fun!

I don't know how old Briar is but some dogs just need a little age or time to "turn on". If you can, continue to expose her to sheep. Perhaps allow her to watch while you work with Rob. She may be more interested in him working the sheep than another dog (who isn't her buddy) working the sheep.

Some dogs have more interest than others; some take a bit more age for it to show; others take more time for it to develop. I am sure your trainer will advise you on this.

Good luck to you, Rob, and Briar.

I usually tell people that about the 3rd exposure is when you get an idea of what's there to work with. I had someone come out for lessons this past weekend and her rescue BC barked most of the time we tried him - for 2 sessions. But by the end of the second one he was getting a tiny bit more quiet and without him even realizing it, I had him circling the sheep just a little bit. We'll build on that and see what we have after a couple more lessons. I expect once he quiets down that he'll be okay for some really easy novice kind of stuff and his owner can have some fun learning a little with him. Another dog that came out was a 4 month old puppy from strong cattle lines, and while he thought he was hot stuff outside the fence, once we turned him loose he never did turn on. He was just too young and the lightbulb didn't go on. I expect when he does turn on he'll be hell on wheels though. We'll try him every once in a while over the next few months. Anyway, the point to all of this is, give it some time and a few sessions with the sheep. This can be especially true with an older pet dog that's spent months/years being told "don't chase that", "don't bite that", etc, etc. Just stay positive and encouraging and she might turn on. Be careful to let her have her way and don't correct her though for a while, as you'll convince her she was right all along and this sheep thing is a set up and she should be a good girl and pay attention to you and not the sheep.