BC Boards

image too big to post?

I tried to upload an image from my computer today, following the instructions in the sticky, and the image was rejected as being too large. This is a relatively small file (41.4 KB (42,415 bytes)) I have posted much larger ones before with no problem. Am I doing something wrong or are "large" images no longer allowed? What is the maximum file size allowed?

I tried to upload an image from my computer today, following the instructions in the sticky, and the image was rejected as being too large. This is a relatively small file (41.4 KB (42,415 bytes)) I have posted much larger ones before with no problem. Am I doing something wrong or are "large" images no longer allowed? What is the maximum file size allowed?

100 KB is the maximum. Can someone else try and let us know if there's a problem? Thanks!

Same issue here -- Yesterday I kept shrinking a picture down and finally stopped at 100x100 pixels. It still wouldn't let me post it.

Give it another try and let me know if it's fixed--it's supposed to be. It apparently was a problem with a setting on our server.

Give it another try and let me know if it's fixed--it's supposed to be. It apparently was a problem with a setting on our server.

Still can't upload a 40kb pic.

This is written next to my Attach This File button....Used 199.85K of your Unlimited global upload quota (Max. single file size: 298bytes)

Somewhat tangential the OP, but I really prefer when pictures are linked from an external host (Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc), rather than uploaded directly. You can usually upload as large of a picture as you would like, and they will resize it to something reasonable automatically.

Somewhat tangential the OP, but I really prefer when pictures are linked from an external host (Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc), rather than uploaded directly. You can usually upload as large of a picture as you would like, and they will resize it to something reasonable automatically.

^ What Sluj said. There are a lot of times when I'm plain too lazy to sign in. If someone has uploaded a file without using an external host, and I haven't logged in, I just get an error message if I try to click on their link. But if someone has used an external host, I see their image within the body of the message, regardless of whether I've logged in or not.

I did once try to use Picasaweb to point people to a particular photo - it was cumbersome at best. (Maybe someone else knows something that I was too dumb to figure out?). But Picasaweb is still a great way to share a boatload of photos with a finite number of users if you want someone to be able to download them - think of a couple of hundred photos taken at a high school soccer or lacrosse game that you want to share with all the team members, or I-hate-to-admit-how-many-photos-I-took at the National Sheepdog Finals that you want to share with a specific handler. Flickr and many of the others (Photobucket, Shutterfly - I don't use these two so I can't be certain) offer free accounts as long as you aren't trying to upload too many photos each month. You certainly can't beat the price, and it won't only be the BC Board members, but also the "guests", who will be able to see your images.

The only thing you need for a Flickr account is to set up a (free) account with Yahoo. I already had one, which is why I went to Flickr first. Haven't explored Photobucket so can't comment on the pros and cons from personal experience.

Here's a review of different photo sharing options.

I'll tell the tech folks that there's still a problem. Since there are two different camps of them now (the bulletin board people and the web host people), they'll probably fight over whose problem it really is for awhile. But eventually it should all get resolved.

Archived