BC Boards

weird symptoms, anyone seen this before?

rushdoggie

OK, I am at a loss here.

My Papillon Harley, age 12, has a history of spinal cord problems with a diagnosis of intervertebral disc disease and 2 episodes of partial paralysis. The worst episode of paralysis was tentatively diagnosed as a fibrocartilagenous embolism (one vet said this is what it was, the other said it was unlikely), he recovered full movement (although somewhat uncoordinated movement) in the affected limbs.

He recently had an abcessed anal glad that needed surgical intervention, was quite painful and now requires monthly trips to have it expressed as the scar tissues remaining can prevent normal expression and I am not comfortable feeling for something internally. At this time, blood tests suggested liver issues, or an issue from the abcess. After the abcess cleared we re-did teh blood test and took an xray, they were *almost* normal...the vet had a radiologist look at the xray and he said that the heart was on the large side of normal, as was the liver.

About a month ago, he suddenly developed a dramatic aversion to taking something from my hand, then my husbands hand, then anyones hand. You can hold a smidge of liverwurst, or beef and he would act like your fingers were electrified. He would only take it by whapping it out of my hands with a paw and eating it off the floor. Really weird. He got better but still occasionally acts like my fingesr will shock him. About 2 weeks ago he developed an aversion to being touched on teh head. We took him in right away thinking maybe he had an abcess or something and the vet could find nothing at all...in fact he showed no aversion to the vet touching his head. The vet said he *might* have a little ear infection and prescribed some drops, but that even if he did it shouldn't result in these symptoms. He really looked hard, torqued his head looking for spinal issues , a full dental exam, etc. He spent 30 minutes with us, nothing seemed to replicate the symptom.

I am still seeing an aversion to touches on the head, and it varies. One day I am petting him softly on the ears or the head or the neck and hes fine, the next he jumps a foot in the air. His anxiety level is quite high...it ramps up when he is in pain and I also think hes on edge because its always hurting. He gets on the couch or a lap and then he can't stay and gets off, then hes back in 2 minutes. One day he seems OK, we went swimming in teh creek and he was all amped up and excited and swimming and playing, 2 days later he won't get near me.

I went to a "fun" TTouch class in the training building where he is familiar and he was completely overwhelmed, straining to get out the door, unable to relax.

There is something wrong here...the vet can't seem to get the same symptoms and recommends against trying pain meds without a cause because of the elevated liver issues. I know in my gut something is wrong, and he needs to get seen again or by someone else. My gut says its spinal cord related.

I'm hoping someone has seen something similar and might have an idea that I am lacking. Its breaking my heart to see him so anxious and easily spooked...

I hate to say this, but I'd probably also bring up the subject of spinal cord/brain tumors with the vet. You know your dog best, so you'll just have to keep at the vet until they come up with something that makes sense.

Surely all pain meds aren't equally hard on the liver. And really all you'd need to see is if they *worked* which could at least send the diagnosis in the direction of something pain or inflammatory related.

J.

Hi "rushdoggie",

I am sorry that your little dog is having problems, and I can certainly understand why you are so concerned. Hopefully, you can come up with an explanation for his symptoms soon.

I think that you were onto something when you wrote, "he would act like your fingers were electrified" when you offered him a treat from your hand. That, combined with his history of spinal problems, makes me think that he may have a nerve being pinched. Have you ever quickly turned your head in a certain way that caused what felt like an electric shock running through your body? Well, I have, and it is very disconcerting! It could be that when he reaches for the tidbit, he is occasionally receiving an electrical jolt. Perhaps he turns or tilts his head in a certain way when he takes food from your hand that is different from the way he eats from the floor or his food bowl? If he were mine, I would get him to a good chiropractor to see if his spine is misaligned (probably in the cervical region).

I hope that this information helps....good luck with the little guy.

Regards,

nancy

I like the chrio idea, and I was thinking... The vet manipulates his head but is he doing the same the the little guy is doing when he reaches for a treat? Could you minic the same treat action at the vets, maybe like Nancy mentions it's only when he moves it a certain way.

I hate it when you know it's something and can't put your finger on it, then no one else is seeing it.

Don't give up, you know you guy best, it will surface at some point in front of the right people.

Mojo coming from CO

It could be that when he reaches for the tidbit, he is occasionally receiving an electrical jolt. Perhaps he turns or tilts his head in a certain way when he takes food from your hand that is different from the way he eats from the floor or his food bowl? If he were mine, I would get him to a good chiropractor to see if his spine is misaligned (probably in the cervical region).

Or that happened once and now he's afraid...

I am looking for a referral to a chiro or a neuro vet.

I'm starting to wonder if hes has developed a disc problem in his neck.

Someone also suggested we try to tape his weird behavior and take it in and show the vet...

Hi again,

Or that happened once and now he's afraid...

I am looking for a referral to a chiro or a neuro vet.

I'm starting to wonder if hes has developed a disc problem in his neck.

Someone also suggested we try to tape his weird behavior and take it in and show the vet...

I would agree with all of these possibilities / suggestions.

His response sounds rather like a dog that has hit an electric fence (perhaps only once or twice), and now he is very apprehensive about the possibility of being shocked again.

I am not a vet or chiropactor, but from my own experience with cervical spine problems, it could very well be a disc problem in his neck.

Getting a video of the behavior would be a terrific idea, and I am sure that the vets would find it very useful.

Regards,

nancy

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

The behaviors have mostly stopped altogether. He occasionally ducks a bit when my hand comes near his head but he doesn't actually shy away anymore and he lets me pet him all over. Yesterday we had one of his famous "all body snuggles" where he climbs on my chest when I am sitting and basically squirms and mashes his head all over me in a very happy and affectionate manner (yes, hes a weird dog, but its really cute and sweet)...he hasn't done that in a while.

He will also take food from my hand now, if a bit hesitantly.

The best I can figure is he did hurt his neck and then I petted him, and he had a fearful response that lingered past teh neck pain.

I am still going to try to take him to a rehab vet soon though...I got some referrals.

Archived