BC Boards

So today at the dog park...

I quit taking my dogs around water when I found old fishooks left on the bank. Well, that and a skinned cat that someone left hanging out of the trash barrel. Too dangerous. I simply don't understand some people. Were they just raised to be so negligent or do that somehow just end up that way by themselves? Got me.

I grew up in an area where Santeria was popular. Animal "sacrifices" (usually chickens) on the sidewalks around parks was fairly common. Totally weirded me out as a kid.

I grew up in an area where Santeria was popular. Animal "sacrifices" (usually chickens) on the sidewalks around parks was fairly common. Totally weirded me out as a kid.

It wierded me out. Who would do something so completely sickening?

I miss being able to take the dogs up to the lake and let them run all over. But something happened almost everytime we went. Bandit the terrible found a half rotted two foot long carp. He had it in his mouth with the head hanging out one end and the tail out the other end. I had a terrible time getting him to drop it. And there was some predator up there killing the big water birds. Bandit went flying by me with bird legs hanging out of his mouth. I wish I could have gotten a picture of that one because it was pretty funny. One of the dogs got too close to a goose nest and caused a huge ruckus. And we had run ins with deer and foxes and possums.

And there was always garbage laying around. I don't understand what is so hard about taking your stuff to an actual garbage can.

And eagles. I got very wary of the eagles. They mostly just live on the fish in the lake but they are huge. Even if they couldn't manage to pick a dog up they could still do a whole lot of damage.

We never saw a bobcat but we have those around here, too. A dog up at one of the golf courses got attacked.

So now the dogs just have lots of toys in the backyard.

It wierded me out. Who would do something so completely sickening?

I miss being able to take the dogs up to the lake and let them run all over. But something happened almost everytime we went. Bandit the terrible found a half rotted two foot long carp. He had it in his mouth with the head hanging out one end and the tail out the other end. I had a terrible time getting him to drop it. And there was some predator up there killing the big water birds. Bandit went flying by me with bird legs hanging out of his mouth. I wish I could have gotten a picture of that one because it was pretty funny. One of the dogs got too close to a goose nest and caused a huge ruckus. And we had run ins with deer and foxes and possums.

And there was always garbage laying around. I don't understand what is so hard about taking your stuff to an actual garbage can.

And eagles. I got very wary of the eagles. They mostly just live on the fish in the lake but they are huge. Even if they couldn't manage to pick a dog up they could still do a whole lot of damage.

We never saw a bobcat but we have those around here, too. A dog up at one of the golf courses got attacked.

So now the dogs just have lots of toys in the backyard.

I don't get it either. My father was a building inspector in that city, and he'd come across the weird animal sacrifice stuff, cock & dog fighting, etc. There was a reason why we moved to the suburbs when I was 11.

I'm lucky where I live now. The beaches on the lake here are mostly fenced in, so no need to worry about animals, etc. And since they're designated swimming beaches, they're kept pretty clean. I just go either early in the morning or early evening when there aren't really any swimmers...in the evening there's usually just some kids on the playground. Mick doesn't have the best recall, if distracted, so he only goes in the fenced beaches. Sinead I'll often take down to the boat launches to swim, since she has a rock solid recall, and I can bring her up to the deck bar after she swims. I get a drink and we both make friends. Last week, she ended up playing with two boys for about an hour and a half. She came home exhausted. And it was funny to see how gentle she was with the kids, especially since they were nearly as big as me (I'm teeny tiny).

Archived