BC Boards

Young Pup Training

Bullet87

Hello,

New to the boards, but I have found a bunch of advice already. I have a about 10 week old border collie and I am starting to do basic training with him. I already have a heeler that does some herding, should I train Nitro (my puppy) to a different set of commands so when they are working together they each have their own? We mainly use them for driving cattle across fields and out from the mountains, never really out of earshot, so I haven't even started the heeler on a whistle yet... Any suggestions for commands and if whistle training is something I should definitely do or not? Also does anyone know where to get a good whistle (and what type) from? Thanks!!!

Hello,

New to the boards, but I have found a bunch of advice already. I have a about 10 week old border collie and I am starting to do basic training with him. I already have a heeler that does some herding, should I train Nitro (my puppy) to a different set of commands so when they are working together they each have their own? We mainly use them for driving cattle across fields and out from the mountains, never really out of earshot, so I haven't even started the heeler on a whistle yet... Any suggestions for commands and if whistle training is something I should definitely do or not? Also does anyone know where to get a good whistle (and what type) from? Thanks!!!

Good luck with the whistle... I've had mine for 5 years and I still can't use the damn thing HAHA!!!

Just teach your dogs their names.... then you can say "Bill come by" ..... "bob lay down"....... and they will each follow their commands.

Archived