BC Boards

First Flyball intro

Last night was Seamus' first time ever being around flyball. He was SUPER interested and really wanted to get out there and participate. We watched everyone practice with their dog, and then Seamus got a chance to try the jumps. It only took 1 or 2 tries before he figured out he could jump over the hurdles. He did great! And once we figured out how to get him to run to me over them (tossing a ball straight behind me once he committed to the last jump) it was easy. He was able to make it over all of them at the end of the night and was so HAPPY that he ran right back to me after he chased the ball i threw (with the ball in tow, not 15 feet away :rolleyes: )

Everyone seemed very happy to have him there and the official "class" starts in july which is where they'll start to weed out the ones who won't be able to be in the team, and then an intermediate class in august when they'll let the people know who they want. Honestly, i don't even care if he never gets that far. I just am so happy that he's so happy.

They don't want me to (and i don't want to) push him hard because of his weight issue. Too much strain on the joints. So i'll be trying to take it off slowly. I think swimming would be the best, right? Also, they want me to start him on a joint supplement. So i'll need to find some. Do any of you supplement? And with what?

Also, they want me to start him on a joint supplement. So i'll need to find some. Do any of you supplement? And with what?

My dog doesn't do flyball, but we give Dasuquin with MSM at the ortho vet's suggestion (he called it the "Cadillac" of joint supplements). Cheapest prices I've found so far are from Amazon ($64.59 for 150 for "dogs under 60 lb; I get free shipping). If anyone knows of a better price, let me know!

Sounds like he did well! What team are you going to take classes with?

It's good to worry about his weight before you go too far. I assume you're working on helping him lose now? You can hopefully make some progress before the real training starts.

I do give my dogs a joint supplement. I've used a couple, but Glyco-flex II is what I mostly give.

Yes, we've been working on his weight since he's come to live with me. He was at 55ish originally and is now at 50.

As for the team name, i'm not sure. It was recommended to me by a man who i've seen at the dog park. The only info about them i've been able to find on the website where they practice is this:

Tuesday Nights - 6:30 p.m.

Gold Coast Dogs

Confirmation/Flyball Classes

So, Gold Coast Dogs? Not sure. There's another team that practices right around the corner from me on Sundays. Unfortunately, my job doesn't allow me to take off every Sunday so i can play ball with my dog, :rolleyes:

We're headed to the store to see if we can track down either one of those supplements.

Welcome to the crazy world of flyball! I belong to a club called Maple Leaps based out of Nova Scotia. I've been competing now for just over 10 years and am hooked! :rolleyes:

Supplement wise my crew get MSM, Glu/Chon, Devil's Claw and Vit C to help with joints. Best to keep your dog slim especially for dog sports. So much easier on their joints!

Looking forward to hearing your flyball training adventures! :D

Congrats on the 5 lb weight loss! That's a great start!

Swimming is, indeed, a great form of exercise. But really, just taking nice long daily walks is a nice low-impact calorie-burning activity that tends to be easier to commit to than a regular swimming schedule (for me, at least, since a swimmable body of water is a 30-minute drive).

The joint supplement I've been using for several years is "Joint Health Chewables" by Springtime, Inc. It is not the most top-notch supplement on the market, but it surely is affordable. They have a great deal where you buy X number of bottles, you get X number of bottles free. I know they said prices are going up soon (if they haven't already), but I just got four bottles of 120 ct. for $70 with their buy 2 get 2 program.

In addition, I also give them Vitimin C and fish oil capsules.

The only reason i suggest swimming is because i have a lovely warm swimming pool in our backyard :D But indeed, it's hard to commit to that daily since i don't exactly have time everyday to get into the pool with the 4 of them. We'll start some long walks too.

There's a store by us that sells things like pre-pattied raw and "super premium" kibbles. They didn't have any joint supplements there so i went ahead and bought the Dasuquin with MSM. He's already getting vitamin E and Omega 3's so we'll go ahead and add some Vitamin C too.

Funny thing happened earlier, i have a gate that closes off the kitchen since my Huskies like to steal the sponge out of the sink and eat it :rolleyes: I feed in shifts so it's easier to keep track of everyone. Seamus and the dog i'm watching eat first, then go behind the gate, and the Huskies eat second. Well, the second i put him behind that gate and turned around he hopped right over it. Something he hasn't done in the month we've been on this routine. Silly dog. Just because he learned how to jump hurdles now he thinks he's going to jump everything. :D

Good luck with the weight loss program. I was amazed how quickly Brody lost weight when he came to live with us, we did not put him on low calorie food, just lots of exercise, swimming, off leash walks no fixed plan, just lots of good old fashioned dog fun. In his past life all his exercise had been on a leash even frisbee was played on a long line.

Within 3 months he reached his current weight, or should I say size as he now weighs 1lb more than at the start but looks half the width :rolleyes: living proof that muscle weighs more than fat.

Archived