BC Boards

barking

Guest borderkatahdin

Guest borderkatahdin

I have this 4 and a half month old pup, she's nice, but barks. I know these dogs can bark occasionally but she's much more vocal. She got in with the sheep yesterday, handled the sheep beautifully before I caught her, but what I wasn't sure about is in a tight situation she would bark, and when my llama came up to her, just when I was envisoning smooshed puppy, she held her ground and barked. The llama backed down, so she probably now knows that barking can work.

Is barking bad in a trial? I can see where it could be useful in some everyday work on large groups, or in the llama case. She wasn't barking constant, just it seems in a tense situation.

Anybody have experience with barking dogs?

Thanks

Wendy

I certainly don't know much, but a 4-month old pup barking in tight situations sounds like she knew she was in over her head and using what she had - kind of like a young dog gripping. I certainly wouldn't encourage it, but as she gets older and more confident, I could see her out-growing it if she isn't allowed to make it a habit. I don't know much about trials, but I would guess it is at the least undesirable, and probably counted down. I would keep her away from the stock (not always possible, as I'm very guilty of with mine) until she's older and can handle things better, and then see what she does. She probably had visions of smooshed pup too when that llama came up. Good luck - sounds like a real go-getter with potential.

Barking while working stock is generally regarded as a weakness in the Border Collie. Some breeds are bred to bark (the Huntaway is an example), but it usually reflects a lack of confidence in a BC. A 4 month old pup backed into a corner by a llama ought to be a bit nervous, so I sure wouldn't worry about the bark at this point. I also would strive to keep the little booger out of such trouble for a while too!

Amy

------------------

Amy Coapman

Montague, in the State of Jefferson

Guest borderkatahdin

She wasn't backed in a corner, she was trying to get the Llama with the sheep, I guess she figured she missed one, but the llama turned and looked at her. She barked alot in the house when I first got her too, so maybe it was allowed in one of her earlier homes. My other dogs don't do that, so I guess I/m not used to it. I was told her sister from a previous litter does the same thing, but will move anything,and her dad works cattle and hogs, maybe something hereditary?

We spent a couple hours catching the little bugger last night, and fixing digs under the fence.

Wendy,

Here's a funny story. A pup similar age to yours. First time on sheep,smack on the balance but...each step taken with a bark.

So,point your finger and imagine a pup setting herself on the balance point and make your finger jump into a pups tempo: bark,bark,bark,bark....bark,bark,bark,bark....

Everyone is laughing their heads off but the pup don't care.

Little rest and back to sheep. Oh,my...she gratuated from a Sheltie on sheep to an Aussie on sheep,bark every other step.

This was happening in a farm,my friends takes a break and walks back to the house,head of the family,the father who also trains and trials in both sheep nad cattle trials comes out to crack a joke about who's got an Aussie pup on sheep.

That pup got sold due to health reasons,the gentleman who got her,a novice handler running a trained dog in novice classes now runs his little graduated Border Collie in a Nursery's rather competitively,last one at one of the most difficult fields out west where lambs were wilder than a loon.

Don't worry about the barking bit,she may not know what else to do and she'll settle into becoming a Border Colie very soon.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

-------------------

It's better to be silent and thought the fool,than to speak and remove all doubt.

Guest borderkatahdin

I'm hoping she grows out of it. It took us so long to catch her, since she is one of the cleverest little pups I think I have seen, and we were in the mud on a hillside. While I was trying to catch her, she was doing a nice job keeping the sheep together, without busting em, instead she would stop on balance, or flank to cover, I had her hold the sheep in the corner, she gathered all 6o, and she kept them quiet in the corner without barking, so for the most part she doesn't, just in a stressful situation where she probably doesn't know what else to do. Bad part was every time I would take a step in her direction she would flank around to balance, and with a big group in the mud it was comical.

I wonder if this is hereditary, or if it might have something to do with how she was brought up at the breeders, how the mom acts, or possibly in one of her other homes. Can this barking be hereditary? I've heard where barking can be useful with cattle in big groups, and after having my sheep jam up in the chutes, I could see where it might help, since the dog that goes under the legs and ahead to break it up seems to cause a few to turn the other way, and can get everybody upset. So I wasn't sure if I should consider it all bad yet.

not a sheltie, not a sheltie, not a sheltie heheh.

I bet that barking border collie was a hoot, but probably discouraging for the owner.

Glad to see it ended up being a decent dog after all.

>>> bet that barking border collie was a hoot, but probably discouraging for the owner. <<<

No,not really. She's a very experienced handler to know better.

>>Glad to see it ended up being a decent dog after all.<<

Not just decent,but a grand little bitch. Not my word,comes from Barbara Ligon and how the spectators went very quiet when they stepped up on the post.

What pups do at certain ages should be enjoyed by both parties. Looking for the goods (natural abilities) in pups and bringing out the best in a pup in later ages ought to be the driving force.

It seems your pup is showing some great moves,why worry about barks at 4 1/2 months old pup?

Would you expect a 5 year old kid to excel at math? or literature? only because he/she shows interest in it?

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

-------------------

It's better to be silent and thought the fool,than to speak and remove all doubt.