BC Boards

What do you think of this Breeders Symposium

Debbie Meier

This just came to me via e-mail and I forwarded it to all of club members. Looks like a really good opportunity to get information on breeding and such. We had a simular symposium but on a smaller scale at the Iowa Pet Breeders Seminar, we walk away with alot of valuable information and resouces, that one was free. There is talk that licensed breeders here in Iowa will need to go to continuing education seminars and attain an accreditation, not sure if it will be manditory or just something to help the public know the difference between educated breeders and those that are not. The upside is that it should make it easier to get good information and education from top professionals in the vet field:

Breeder's Symposium:

Iowa State University

Presented by the American Kennel Club & the Canine Health Foundation

Saturday & Sunday, June 5 & 6, 2010

Vet Med building, room 1226

1600 S. 16th Street, Ames, IA 50011

(See a map)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:00 am – 5:00 pm (Breakfast at 7:30 am)

Saturday 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM (Breakfast at 7:30 am)

Sunday 8:00 AM – 2:30 PM (Breakfast at 7:30 am)

Check-in opens Saturday at 7:30 am

Cost: $100 Day 1 Only (includes breakfast and lunch)

$75 Day 2 Only (includes breakfast and lunch)

$150 for Both Days

($275 for those wanting Continuing Education Credits)

Program Agenda: Day 1

How Structure Affects Performance: Pat Hastings

Breeding Options & Techniques: Dr. Lin Kauffman

Hips, Elbows and other Orthopedic Certifications: Dr. Karl Kraus

Canine Ophthalmology and the Importance of CERF: Dr. Dave Whitley

Managing Genetic Disease: Dr. Matthew Ellinwood

Canine Nutrition: Dr. Joe Wakshlag

Vaccines and Vaccination Protocols: Dr. Christine Petersen

Day 2: Special Sessions on Reproduction

Basic Pedigree Analysis: Dr. Matthew Ellinwood

Semen Evaluation and Preservation: Dr. Bruce Christensen

Testicular & Prostatic Disease: Dr. Bruce Christensen

Veterinary Management of the Stud Dog: Dr. Lin Kauffman

Pregnancy Management and Whelping: Dr. Bruce Christensen

Neonatal Nutrition: Dr. Joe Wakshlag

Infectious Disease of Puppies: Dr. Lin Kauffman

Register online here.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Gateway Hotel at 2100 Green Hills Drive in Ames. Call 515-292-8600 and mention the AKC Canine Health Symposium to make your reservation

For More Information, contact:

Ronald Rella, 212-696-8303 or e-mail: rnr@akc.org

or

Erika Werne, 888-682-9696 or e-mail: eaw@CanineHealthFoundation.org

This course has been submitted (but not yet approved) for 10 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE approval; however participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery of continuing education. Call Erika Werne, Director of Education and Communications (888.682.9696) for further information.

Presented by the American Kennel Club...
Looks like a really good opportunity to get information on breeding and such.

You're kidding, right?

A

The fact that they have Pat Hastings doing the whole structure/performance thing would turn me right off. Other than that, if the titles of the various talks are truly indicative of what you'd learn, I'd say you could save your $$ and find the same information using Google and some common sense about primary sources (or even talking to a vet). Looks to me like the symposium is aimed at the clueless and true beginners....

J.

No, I wouldn't go, but if you do go don't miss Dr. Kraus. He always kept me amused during lectures. :rolleyes:

You can always learn something even if it is what NOT to do.

Ditto on Pat Hastings

I would LOVE to hear what they (the AKC) has to say about working pedigree analysis! (remember it is 1 April)

Liz, looking forward to Chicago!!!!!!???

Liz, looking forward to Chicago!!!!!!???

I can't wait! Eight days straight of working dogs is my idea of heaven. I just hope it isn't as hot as it's been these last few days.

Um, what and when is this??! If you don't mind me asking...

The fact that they have Pat Hastings doing the whole structure/performance thing would turn me right off. Other than that, if the titles of the various talks are truly indicative of what you'd learn, I'd say you could save your $$ and find the same information using Google and some common sense about primary sources (or even talking to a vet). Looks to me like the symposium is aimed at the clueless and true beginners....

J.

Hastings is a complete turn off - she's getting credibility of associating with vets here that she does not deserve.

Couple of the vets listed I wouldn't bother with either.

Seminar for the Clueless is about right. I'd also call it "Another way to make Undeserved Money"

I went to a Myra Savant -Harris canine reproduction seminar once. Now *that* was worth it. I've saved quite a few pups using her techniques, as well as made whelping and early days much easier on the dam.

Archived