BC Boards

ACL Injury

jackson's mom

My poor darling Ru tore his ACL and had to have TPLO surgery done. It's been two weeks since the surgery. Last week he started to hold the leg up and in toward his body. I got really worried and called the vet. When I brought him in, the X-ray showed that he had broken the femur. The vet didn't seem too concerned but recommended that he rests as much as possible. That meant putting him on puppy prozac. I am unsure of the effects that this will have on him in the future. Right now it is calming him, but will he return to normal when this event is over? Unhappy Mom.

My poor darling Ru tore his ACL and had to have TPLO surgery done. It's been two weeks since the surgery. Last week he started to hold the leg up and in toward his body. I got really worried and called the vet. When I brought him in, the X-ray showed that he had broken the femur. The vet didn't seem too concerned but recommended that he rests as much as possible. That meant putting him on puppy prozac. I am unsure of the effects that this will have on him in the future. Right now it is calming him, but will he return to normal when this event is over? Unhappy Mom.

How can the vet not be concerned about a broken femur??

The vet said that it was common to have a fracture of the bone (the femur) because they are drilling into the bone. This was one of the reasons that I did not want to get the TPLO surgery. The original surgery that I had done on my spaniel was different. It was not as invasive and although they drilled through the bone, they did not cut the bone or screw plates on to the bone. I was told that that sort of surgery isn't done anymore and that the TPLO is the only ACL surgery used these days. My spaniel recovered from two of the original ACL surgeries without problems or complications. This has been very hard on Ru and painful.

Your vet is outdated on what surgeries are being done. My acd had TPLO on both knees (2 and 4 yrs ago) but I know about 2 yrs ago a new procedure was becoming more common and our ortho vets were actually having classes at their offices to learn the technique when we picked up my acd after her last TPLO surgery. It is less invasive than the TPLO I believe with a faster healing time. I don't know what it is called but I know that even a year ago that some ortho vets were moving to this procedure and not even doing TPLO any more.

The femur fracture will probably heal on its own which is why the vet may not be concerned but I am thinking you may want to get a second opinion. The vet may not be able to do anything for it but who knows. Any time you cut into the bone you are making it more prone to fracture until it heals which is usually 6-8 weeks I believe.

It sounds like your TPLO has not been a happy one.

If the other knee goes (which the vet keeps telling me will happen eventually) I will look for options besides TPLO. I didn't like the amount of cutting that was done to the bone. Unfortunately, there was no other surgery offered. I can't wait until this is over. See pictures below--- poor embarrassed guy......post-10133-1269884830_thumb.jpg

Archived