BC Boards

Oh great Diarrhea

Ive been feeding Orijen and switch off between different flavors (chicken, red meat, fish) & for the past 3 weeks my Lynus will not eat his breakfast. so ok i give him a good 1 hour then im off to work so i put his uneaten food bowl up. dinner comes. he will sniff sniff then just walk away. i have to sit and tell him "eat your dinner" and watch him eat. once, i got tired of sitting and watching him, he didnt eat for 2 days. so i decided to try adding natures variety raw to his kibbles... LOVED IT but he got diarrhea. so now im trying to control his diarrhea by going back to kibble but he wants nothing to do with it. Have i started something bad? will i now have to add NV raw to his meal everytime! i guess im alittle frustrated that he is so picky (if thats what you call it)... i guess im going to also try a different dry kibble food too... i know his GI tract is gonna hate it! urrgh so frustrated! my 5 year old son is less picky than my Lynus. :rolleyes:

well just had to vent.. any input/advice please let me know...

Thanks

If I were you, I might consider having some bloodwork done. We thought our Bute was a "picky" eater and he was subject to periodic bouts of diarrhea, which we could not trace to eating particular things. Bloodwork showed us that he had some digestive problems (Vit B12 malabsorption), liver and kidney values that were not good, and something more going on than just being picky. He also apparently had ulcers, which killed him eventually because they bled out.

So, not to be alarmist but you might consider a consulation with your vet and appropriate bloodwork. We had two blood panels done, one fasting and one not, that revealed several serious problems going on. For Bute, he was not eating because he couldn't eat, not because he was being picky.

Best wishes solving your Lynus' problems.

Ive been feeding Orijen and switch off between different flavors (chicken, red meat, fish) & for the past 3 weeks my Lynus will not eat his breakfast. so ok i give him a good 1 hour then im off to work so i put his uneaten food bowl up. dinner comes. he will sniff sniff then just walk away. i have to sit and tell him "eat your dinner" and watch him eat. once, i got tired of sitting and watching him, he didnt eat for 2 days. so i decided to try adding natures variety raw to his kibbles... LOVED IT but he got diarrhea. so now im trying to control his diarrhea by going back to kibble but he wants nothing to do with it. Have i started something bad? will i now have to add NV raw to his meal everytime! i guess im alittle frustrated that he is so picky (if thats what you call it)... i guess im going to also try a different dry kibble food too... i know his GI tract is gonna hate it! urrgh so frustrated! my 5 year old son is less picky than my Lynus. :rolleyes:

well just had to vent.. any input/advice please let me know...

Thanks

Brodie and Ladybug are both picky eaters. Ladybug is one of those companionable dogs who likes to eat when we do. Doesn't matter what the food its, she just likes to be part of the meal.

Brodie just needed the "right" dog food. I'm feeding Primative Naturals now, which he gobbles up. Thankfully, they all like it. Exercise is a key factor with Brodie as well. The more he runs, the more he eats. Do you think that switching between the different flavors upset Orijen's tastebuds and tummy? I understand that its best to stick to the same dog food, or it will cause digestive problems.

Also, they can indeed "hold you up" for what they want in the same way a child does. If the NV is bothering him, You might try adding a little cooked rice to the kibble instead of the NV raw. It might be gentler on his stomach.

Archived