BC Boards

Stop, Sit, Think

flyer

Wow! I just Googled the title, and it sells for upwards of $600 on used book sites. It must have been little-published to be worth that much.

Mary

Yeah Crazy, huh? He self published and yes, only a few printings. I think the signed books go for $600.00 but if not signed more like 3 or 4 hundred. I happened to get copies of both books, unsigned, by fluke on EBay for a lot less. They are in mint condition and I admit I thought about not reading them and just selling them on for profit, but that just seemed silly.

When I was a kid he came to my home town with his dogs and I sat in an aisle seat and got to pat London after the show as he brought the dogs up through the audience. I loved that show!! It wasn't like watching tricks, it was just him communicating with dogs and felt very natural and wonderful to a kid who loved animals. So I am reading with care not to bend bindings or spot pages, etc.

So far he sounds very similar to the stock dog trainers on this board in his expectations. Works with the intelligence of the dog and stresses not to create a habitual learner, but an intellectual learner. Different semantics but as I said similar expectations.

His big thing is that he truly believed dogs understood a great deal of language and taught them with that in mind. He educated them like one does small children. Always talking to them and naming things for them. Must admit I do this with my dogs already, I think a lot of dog people do, and Colt the oldest understands most things I ask of him even if I haven't trained it. I see him watch me and think and then try something out and by playing a kind of cold, cold, warm, warmer hot game he is able to succeed. i.e. getting my running shoes for me while I am putting my socks on to go for our hike, going out.

So many books and so many trainers and so many belief systems. I like to read them all and take bits and pieces that work for me.

His big thing is that he truly believed dogs understood a great deal of language and taught them with that in mind. He educated them like one does small children. Always talking to them and naming things for them. Must admit I do this with my dogs already, I think a lot of dog people do...

Yes, for sure. I talk to my dog the way mothers talk to babies: just random chit chat and naming things. Sometimes, I find that Buddy knows the name for something, and it surprises me, because I didn't know I had taught him. I think lots of dogs of "chatty" owners understand a lot more than people believe.

Something that completely surprised me about my dog was his ability to understand "no" and "ball" and also, "no ball." If I say the word "no" in front of another word he knows, he completely understands that it's a negative declaration: "No, we will not play ball now. No, you cannot go visit Paul right now. No, put down the stick."

Meanwhile, I think Buddy must be rather annoyed at me, sometimes, because he's so clearly saying something and I'm not able to understand him.

Interesting ideas... but not interesting enough for me to spend half a K on! :rolleyes:

Mary

Archived