BC Boards

Hello and sliced pear outruns

Hello,

I don't often post - I love reading the threads here. I thought I'd post something about myself and my dogs since I've never introduced myself. I have mostly Australian Shepherds plus one BC mix and one maybe-BC. My maybe-BC, however, has little interest in stockdog work...she prefers her comfort.

Her name is Abby Normal and she considers herself a princess...

AbbygetsthesquirrelChristmas09.jpg

My Aussies however - one of them at least - loves it and one other is showing some talent. My first Aussie was farm bred out of working dog lines, and that kind of got me started on wanting to learn more about what stockdogs do and how. Then I met Sue, and she got me addicted! Sadly, my old girl passed last week, at the age of 16, but she left me a lasting appreciation for Aussies in particular and working dogs in general.

I enjoy learning about stockdog work, and the dog I use is Cowboy, an Aussie. Unfortunately - I'm am still and will likely remain and utter novice (we only get to work once a month) - but it's fascinating and Cowboy loves it and I learn a lot about my dog and what a partnership really means in the process.

I have also had a chance to learn about the differences between Aussies and BC's.

Aussies like to stir things up when they get too boring. They have a cowboy mentality and aren't above a little brawling. An aussie says "bring 'em on" while a BC says "where do you want me to bring 'em".

Aussies believe in the shortest route (a straight line) and BC's believe in curves.

BC's seem a little more tolerant of idiots - Aussies will do the job without you if they can. Of course that might just be my dog....

I have discovered BC's seem to take their work very seriously...Aussies....they don't mind a good joke.

We were at an arena-style trial last year and the first day - Cowboy did a wonderful job, he wasn't overly pushy, he read his sheep, took his downs, was just wonderful - I was in heaven. However....I had an Aussie. Heaven doesn't last very long with an aussie....it would be too boring after all. The second day we ran almost last, out of 40 plus dogs. That meant a lot of waiting...even though we stretched our legs, walked around, went for a good hike nearby. When it was his turn I could tell he was looking for trouble even though he listened and was perfectly obedient all the way to the handlers post. To put it nicely...his outrun was .... a straight line at full speed. Sue very kindly came up with the appropriate scientific term for it: The Sliced Pear Outrun. Once the sheep were well and truely scattered he nicely rounded them up and finished the course very smoothly. I'm sure he had a great time...his expression and attitude said it all, and in hindslight, it was really kind of funny. A border collie would have been appalled.

We did get some good pictures though...

The Sliced Pear Outrun

slicedpearoutrunscream.jpg

Disclaimer: no sheep were hurt, no gripping, and no sheep hit the fence

ISAIDLIEDOWN!!!!!!

liedowndamnit.jpg

hehehe...that was fun...did you see the look on Mom's face?

jobwelldone-1.jpg

and...when he was working nicely....

Cowboyalittletooclose600.jpg

Cowboythroughthepanels.jpg

Anyway...those are some of my dogs...:rolleyes:

Welcome! Gotta love an aussie for being a goof ball! I have a 1/2 Aussie / 1/2 BC - Fluke, and he honestly makes me laugh at least twice a day right from my belly. He just does the funniest things, he's always happy! I can picture him being the same as your pup!

Welcome! Gotta love an aussie for being a goof ball! I have a 1/2 Aussie / 1/2 BC - Fluke, and he honestly makes me laugh at least twice a day right from my belly. He just does the funniest things, he's always happy! I can picture him being the same as your pup!

Thanks! I love your signature photo - lovely dogs! One of my dogs I am pretty sure is an Aussie/BC mix too. She was a failed foster for Aussie rescue but her head looks a lot like a BC. She is also a much more serious dog then the aussies :rolleyes:

I have one of each and the way you describe your aussie is exactly how mine acts! She is pushy and fearless. I've had them both on sheep (never worked out just because of other interests) and it was interesting seeing how she was a bit confrontational and liked to do a little tasting, shall we say :rolleyes: it was chaos at times. ugh! When I was in there with Chase, it was calm in comparison. I say calm in comparison but not really calm. I so don't know thing one about herding but I love reading here and learning for maybe some day.

I do love the aussies too.

Thanks for posting pictures of your dogs, they're beautiful. I love your aussie's color.

I have one of each and the way you describe your aussie is exactly how mine acts! She is pushy and fearless. I've had them both on sheep (never worked out just because of other interests) and it was interesting seeing how she was a bit confrontational and liked to do a little tasting, shall we say :rolleyes: it was chaos at times. ugh! When I was in there with Chase, it was calm in comparison. I say calm in comparison but not really calm. I so don't know thing one about herding but I love reading here and learning for maybe some day.

I do love the aussies too.

Thanks for posting pictures of your dogs, they're beautiful. I love your aussie's color.

Pushy definately seems to describe my guy too - he's been on sheep and cattle and is totally fearless. One thing I notice in those pictures is he doesn't have an ounce of "remorse" - in fact, he looks very pleased with himself. Such a yahoo! :D It seems when we are working I'm frequently having to remind him to get out further because he creeps in closer and closer. I read on a working aussie site that aussies have to work closer to their stock in order to maintain contact - BC's and similar breed work by "pushing the flight zones" and Aussies by more direct contact with the stock. What was really interesting was when I tried Jessie on sheep - she worked right up against them almost, very upright and almost shoving them but not gripping. Cowboy was never that close - too close and he would dive and grip. Also different was that when we were done - I could not giet a down on Jessie but I could get an immediate and solid sit and could walk up and get her to come away. She was on - and off, like a switch. She has only had two lessons so things may well change. I tend to think she is BC/Aussie mix because of her looks but she works totally upright.

I almost fostered a BC just recently...she was a skinny skinny little smooth red dog in Grundy VA but someone adopted her before I could get the transport arranged :D I was so bummed...I think BC's are not as quarrelsome as aussies...and she looked very sweet and eval'd well...I like both BC's and Aussies....they seem to compliment each other :D

This is Jessie - I tend to think she looks and has the intensity of a BC more than Aussie:

100_0459.jpg

Archived