BC Boards

Border Collies In The Rain

By Robert Singer

I have five border collies waiting for me to start the day; they don’t care if it’s raining.

Click here to read the rest of the story and see an image of them waiting for me in their 4-wheel drive kennel to entertain them.

Border Collies In The Rain

Robert Singer writes for The Market Oracle and

The Peoples Voice

Jedi's absolute favorite weather is cold and rainy. So I suck it up, put on a rain coat and out we go to play. I get rewarded with his biggest doggie smile. :rolleyes:

Cute story. Thanks for sharing.

Bret used to be Jet, then we tried to Jeddy. Now he is a maverick, Bart and Bret. I am thinking of calling Flint, Beau.

Did you see this story?

Is it possible our dogs know what day it is?

Bret used to be Jet, then we tried to Jeddy. Now he is a maverick, Bart and Bret. I am thinking of calling Flint, Beau.

Did you see this story? <a href="http://ourla.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=268&Itemid=3235" target="_blank">

Is it possible our dogs know what day it is?</a>

Jedi is ....well... think Star Wars. :rolleyes:

I've read that story before, but I just can't remember where. I have not experienced Jedi and Cadi knowing what day it is, but they definitely can tell time. When I come in any room I usually get greeted. Never in the morning however. They know I'm not a morning person, and not to bother me until after my first cup of coffee. They typically get ignored til then, they know it, and barely even look up when I enter the room. Unheard of at any other time of day. :D

You must be Robert Singer then. I didn't get that at first. Welcome to the boards! I look forward to more stories.

I live in a rain forest and our winters are cold and rainy. Now that we are in the beginnings of spring, much to VANOlympicCommittee's chagrin, we are meeting many more people and dogs on the trail. I can't help feeling a tad resentful. Where were they when the sleet was flying?

Had to laugh about being asked if you are a trainer. I get that so much. Most people are quite shocked to see a small puppy rocket back across a field when called out of play or seeing my pups lie down while a jogger passes by. Border collies can make a person look very capable. Of course folks have no idea what the other side of a border collie looks like. The high prey drive, the lightening fast intellect, the need for engagement and interaction.

Had to laugh about being asked if you are a trainer. I get that so much. Most people are quite shocked to see a small puppy rocket back across a field when called out of play or seeing my pups lie down while a jogger passes by. Border collies can make a person look very capable. Of course folks have no idea what the other side of a border collie looks like. The high prey drive, the lightening fast intellect, the need for engagement and interaction.

That's so true! I'm a first time dog owner with a BC mix, and I can't help but snicker when people compliment me on how well I've trained my dog. Any idiot could train this dog - she has the intelligence of a BC with the food motivation of a hound and the friendly nature of a lab - all I do is supply the food. But of course people don't see that when they look at her.

very cute story.

My Kate doesnt care what the weather is..if its time to go out and feed, she is going out..so I finally had to break down and buy her a waterproof blanket, to keep her semi dry.

youve never seen a happier dog though..even when it is raining.:rolleyes:

Isnt it funny how folks get smitten with a well behaved dog?

Now I feel bad for considering not walking or running tonight b/c there are gust of winds up to 40 mph and it is frigid! :rolleyes:

In my defense, I am most definitely the lady who stands outside with an umbrella to throw the ball for a half an hour or wades through knee high water to walk her dogs in the park. We're made of tough stuff us BC owners! :D